Internet Explorer 6 (the final IE?)

mattking

Lots of rumours have been floating about saying various things about ie. The following is a list of some which I have heard:

1. IE 6 SP1 will be the final IE and users will be expected to upgrade to MSN Explorer (a pay browser).

2. There will be an IE 7 which uses the .NET framework and it will be the final IE, users will then be expected to upgrade to MSN Explorer (a pay browser).

3. There will be an IE 7 which does not use the .NET framework and it will be the final IE, users will then be expected to upgrade to MSN Explorer (a pay browser).

4. There will be no more updates to IE and the next 'version' will be built into Windows Longhorn but will not be called IE.

Most people believe the first rumour to be the likely case unfortunately. Rumour 2 is possible and hopefully likely. Rumour 3 is unlikely with Microsoft wanting to move to .NET and not doing it with such a major product!

Rumour 4 is only likely to occur if Microsoft does not adopt their new policy in Windows Longhorn where the core part of windows is NOT IE (this may be forced on them by the DoD).

Regardless I throw this issue out to the forums and ask for the following:

1. Opinions

2. Extra Rumours

3. Known Facts

Let's make this the definitive thread for the next IE!

p.s. on another note does anybody know how to alter the size of the IE window when you click 'open in a new window'. Mine has shrunk so that when you open in a new window the new window just shows the titlebar!

Hummm, well i know that most rumors suggest that Ie 6 is the last of the Ie series for the current OS...And that Longhorn will contain the new Ie 7 like system in which the browser is fully integrated within the kernal... Butsome how i dout this...I mean were looking at least a year to even see a proper Beta of longhorn to hit the streets, so for people to say that there will be no significant updating within a year or 2..i think thats sort of off....As for a pay browser...that i havent hear of...and i doubt will be the future for Ie, they would loose lots of support in a market they already dominate, so that would be bad for the sales of longhorn as well as the furthering of the MS Ie browser....

/My 2 cents

=Drew

I doubt that IE6 will be that last version. EI is so popular that it would a extremely bad move for M$ to just kill it ...

I would also bet my money on, that M$ will do anything to integrate .NET i everything. Including IE!!

And yes! I also think that EI7 will be in longhorn. Without a new IE longhorn would'n really be a new OS would it???