swapping GPUs... problems?

gui_m

Does anyone have problems when switching between GPUs? I have an NVIDIA Geforce 6600 GT AGP and GeForce 4 Ti 4200. Games, especially Half Life 2, doesn't appear to work when I switch graphics cards and I'm always having to format windows when I change GPU...

I have tested a whole range of drivers from the official to beta releases and all give me a black screen as soon as gameplay starts... any suggestions? I've checked forums from Valve and NVIDIA but didn't find anything. Thanx :thumbup

ya it detects the card well and most games work fine... the one's giving me trouble are UT 2003, UT 2004 and Half Life 2. I've tried everything but formatting seems to be the only way... even playing games in safe mode but it doesn't seem to work

i think these games generate some sort of cache that is only compatible with your video card? or maybe they detect the card and apply specific settings for it automatically in the name of optimization. anyway, i assume you delete every thing associated with the games and reisntall them before windows?

usualy when you change gpu's the game on startup will detect the new card and optimze it but don't wait for newer drivers to be released since there are already drivers on the site,get those,then upgrade to the newest ones when they are released.you don't need to reinstall windows just some games require you to uninstall the game before you change drivers(even video cards)then reinstall the game after you install the drivers for that particular card,from what i've seen nvidia cards work on praticaly every game,ati usualy have more problems but they have gotten better.