KB890830 and KB890175 for WinXP SP2

ArjanDotOrg

KB890175 : HF1

KB890830 : in the RunOnceReg (called in cmdlines.txt):

REG ADD %KEY%\050 /VE  /D "Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool (KB890830)" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\050 /V 1 /D "%SystemDrive%\Install\HotFixes\Windows-KB890830-FRA.exe /Q" /f

For the Malicious Software Removal Tool

Since On http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=890830

I read this:

Q3: How do I remove this tool?

A3: The tool does not have to be removed because the tool is never installed. No Programs folder entry or Add/Remove Programs entry is created when the tool is run.

note: The tool is never installed (via windows updates)

I just add the registry entry...

;--- KB890830 ------
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\RemovalTools\MRT]
"Version"="E5DD9936-C147-4CD1-86D3-FED80FAADA6C"

After all, what's the point of putting 250KB of files on your CD when the above few bytes will do. I did a registry compare and that's the only thing added. WindowsUpdates thinks KB890830 is installed if you just add the above registry entry. (just tested last night).

I say this only cause this is an unattended install CD and I don't need to check my fresh install for trojans! (I scan my XPCreate CD creating computer).

If you are doing an upgrade, then wholeheartedly put that on your disc (heck install the antispyware beta from MS also).

this is an unattended install CD and I don't need to check my fresh install for trojans! 

I concur. I don't see a good reason to include this removal tool in my uA CD. This is not a system update.

• 3 weeks later...

I see I have turned homiebrah into an IEXPRESS fan!

True, this update may not be needed, but for know one of the goals of XPCREATE is to create an installation that reports ZERO updates needed on WIndows Update. For this reason I will always try to "install" these updates. A fix is currently on the works.

I see I have turned homiebrah into an IEXPRESS fan!

True, this update may not be needed, but for know one of the goals of XPCREATE is  to create an installation that reports ZERO updates needed on WIndows Update. For this reason I will always try to "install" these updates. A fix is currently on the works.

No worries there, GM. I'm hooked. Iexpress works wonders when developing SMS packages for release to nearly 5,200 clients.