What does OEM mean?

1heavyd

I want to purchase a 80 Gb hard drive for my desktop PC from newegg.com. The one I would like to have says OEM only under packaging. What does OEM stand for.

I was looking at an identical hard drive except under packaging it said "retail". The difference in cost was about 30 dollars. What is the reason for that. I know it doesn't cost $30 for packaging. Please inform this dumb a...ss. :no:

• 2 weeks later...

I had a client who had a Gateway (back when they had "retail" stores).

The hard drive was a brand name (Maxtor, Western Digital... I forget which brand, but it was something like that). It was an "OEM" hard drive. The HD manufactuer said to get it exchanged/repaired through the PC manufacturer.

That's fine and all except I had already put a new HD in thier computer, installed windows and returned it to the client.

So I took the drive to Gateway and they said they needed the computer it came in originally!!!!! I asked why and they said to verify it's defective. My comment that they have a "tech room" and they should have spare computers to verify it in didin't go very far with them. Well I'm not going back to my client just to get a computer to exchange a HD. I'm not out money and they didn't care since they got the computer back quick.

So my point is WATCH OUT for OEM drives! You might not be able to exchange it at all if it's defective.

As far as anything else, yes IcemanND is correct. You may get a longer warrantee with retail, or the warrantee may be only exchangeable with the distributor (OEM) vs the manufacturer (retail). So consider carefully grasshopper. Read your fine print and ask many questions.