possible to install xp from hard drive?

is there a way to just dump the contents of the cd on the hard drive and then start the install from the hard drive?

i.e., make your own utility that runs from the cd and gives you all kinds of options for the install (computer name, what to install, what to tweak, etc.), then copies all the contents of the cd to the hard drive (maybe does the partitioning as well) adds all the selected settings to the appropriate files (winnt.sif, a selection of different registry tweaks etc) and then start the setup from the hard drive?

it seems like this would be a good idea since it would give you a lot more versatility with one cd, and it would also give you a lot more room on the cd since you could archive absolutely EVERYTHING...

does this sound like a good idea to anyone else? or do I need sleep?

it doesn't work in firefox...presumably because the search loads in another window...

u must be kidding right.

do u know how many of us here are using Firefox and using the Search

feature?

that is a pretty lame excuse to be lazy in using the search function.

if u go to google.com

and type xp install from hard drive msfn.org

u will get dozens of results.

OK, REALLY stupid question...

How do you do a from scratch install using WINNT32? I always have wiped the hard disk in DOS and used WINNT. I didn't think WINNT32 runs in DOS, and if not, what are you running it in?

Help a brotha out,

JP

it doesn't work in firefox...presumably because the search loads in another window...

u must be kidding right.

do u know how many of us here are using Firefox and using the Search

feature?

that is a pretty lame excuse to be lazy in using the search function.

if u go to google.com

and type xp install from hard drive msfn.org

u will get dozens of results.

Yeah I was having some wierd problem and I got p***ed off trying to use the stupid search function. I got it working now...sorry if I somehow disrupted your world by asking a question you deem lazy.