Need advice on external hd backup.

I doged the bullet yesterday with my wifes pc.

It basically crashed and I was able to take the hd out and put it in my pc and get her important doc over to my hd.

I now think I would like to build a free standing hd that is just for full system backups.

I would also like to run it directly off my Linksys router so that it is a separate compomnent of my house system.

Has anyone used these and what is the best way to do it.Is there a particular brand and is there software other than the standard XP Backup that would allow it to do it at night without me having to do it manually?

Now for my cheap side,would getting onme of those cases to hold an internal hd be a way to save money?

I have seen the Maxtor exteranl with a button on it but then I read a bad review.

Hi There,

I'm not all too sure about the connection to your router, but you could always give it a try, and if it doesn't work, then just return it.

As for software, I'd have to say that Acronis products have always worked well for me. Acronis True Image is a really good "ghost" product, i.e. it will backup your entire drive so that if anything screws up, you simply revert back to an image. I don't know if it works with network drives though.

Hope this helps.

Zxian,

I think what your looking for is NAS (Network Attached Storage)

Here is an example from NewEgg:

NewEgg

You can find other products that better suit your needs, Linksys is another one. This is just one product that may work for you.

Treeman