Any one got a list of boot tweaks?

PriZm77

Guest LouCypher

Its loading the OS. You can see which files it is loading as it does it by adding a "/sos" to the end of your OS load line in boot.ini.

Right click "My Computer" -> Properties -> "Advanced" tab -> click Startup and Recovery "Settings" button -> "To edit the startup options file manually, click Edit." (click edit) -> add "/sos" to the end of your line (w/o quotes) like this:

[boot loader]

timeout=30

default = multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional (verbose)" /fastdetect [b:ec6914dc3b]/sos[/b:ec6914dc3b]

If you are like me, you get very annoyed by the 30 sec. time delay before starting windows. Now, I know that you can pick the O/S you want by just pushing enter but a lot of times, I turn on the computer and walk away while it boots....the time to load O/S checkbox is under the Startup and Recovery console too.

Rick

Guest LouCypher

The "/sos" part tell Windows to verbosely report the files and devices that are being loaded at boot. Doesn't hurt not to have it. If you add it then you won't see the startup logo, you will see devices being loaded and if CHKDISK runs you'll see its output.

It's basically like LOGO=0 under Windows 9x/ME in MSDOS.SYS.

I've also noticed if you have a network card in your system and you're not using ICS if you set your adaptor for static IPs it will speed up boot a little bit because it won't be waiting for the DHCP client to timeout.

To drastically reduce your boot time, use the BootVis app from Microsoft. and run these instructions in this order:

[i:d23743e165]Run bootvis, trace menu, next boot+ driver delays, 2 repetitions. let it reboot twice, start bootvis again and load newest .bin file it created, select optimize system and let it do it's thing. after it's finished optimizing run boot+driver delays again and see how much shorter it is.[/i:d23743e165]

Get BootVis from here: ht*p://www.microsoft.com/HWDEV/fastboot/default.htm

It cut my boot time by 15-20 secs which is pretty good!

Also - To speed it up even more, assign an IP to your network card if you have one, and disable the Welcome screen (configured in Control Panel > Users)

Aaron, I ran the following directions as you posted, but when I selected optimize I would get two error boxes, one that said it timed out and the out said that it was unable to start defrag.

I ran defrag just to make sure it worked and all was fine there, not sure where to go from here. Any help would be appreiciated.

Don

AaronXP, where do you assign IP for the network card?

Thanks... [/quote:771fd9649c]

Start > Settings > Network and Dial Up Connections > right click your Local Area Connection > Properties > Go to properties of your TCP/IP > put in an ip (192.168.0.1 for the first PC) then 192.168.0.2 and so on.

Thanks AaronXP, When I got there the number 192.168.0.1 was already there. I'll put the second IP if it's not there in my laptop later...

By the way that BootView make the booting almost twice quicker, thanks man... The only problem is when I switch off Welcome screen, every time XP starts up, it asks password, I don't have any password for Account with Addmin privileges... so I just hit ENTER... do you know may be I missed something, because usually it skips the password thing for that Account...?

Thanks...

The only problem is when I switch off Welcome screen, every time XP starts up, it asks password, I don't have any password for Account with Addmin privileges... so I just hit ENTER... do you know may be I missed something, because usually it skips the password thing for that Account...?

Thanks... [/quote:988329e9cf]

The "automatically login" feature in TweakUI must have got disabled by something. Go back in TweakUI and tick the box to automatically login. You won't have to press ENTER anymore.