Cant RecongnizeCD Rom is it Windows somthing else

shielah

I have windows 98 se, just disconected from line and replaced w/new pc...the old pc with wind 98se had a CD Rom problem...for some reason a couple months ago it quit working, it would open and close just not read, i never looked into until I tried to set it up for my kids to play games on...though the Rom iself was bad and needed new, I put in a different one and it didn't work either...checked the old one it worked hooked up, so i re-installed the old one and when I tried, it would not read....I check my devices it does not even show me having a CD Rom.

I went into add hardware to add it and it wont add it, it either lock up on me or it ask me to put in the windows disc or to specify where to load the driver from and obviously i cann't use the CD Rom driver for the resoration disc or the Windows 98 se disk becasue my PC thinks I don't have a CD Rom..

I tried to go back and so a scan resg/restore and it won't let me go back to before 1/1/05...not sure why, I have done this in the past when i had other problelms..not with the CD rom, but other programs...and have never had a problem with going back until now...

I have always had my virus scan, updates ect upto date so I don't think it is that....

is there anything i can do before I totally wipe everything out or just put in a new hard drive all together...

I just want my poor kids to be able to put in theor disc and play their games....UGH

Meaning that you find the hardware manufacturer on the web and you then find your product from them, and they should have a download page where you can download drivers. If its a generic brand which you cant tell you made it, then try gateway(good luck on that one, gateway support is a joke), and if that doesnt work try windows update...

still, it probably is a cable problem, dont update the driver unless you have to

No need for drivers.

This sounds, like said above, a cable/interface problem.

Also, double check in BIOS that the IDE channel on which the CD reader is attached is enabled.

MOST motherboards built in the last 5 years will detect the CD-ROM at BOOT time, long before any OS is loaded.

jaclaz

Yes, It is Gateway and Yes their support stinks....

It was made in 2000...

I have a cable...I am assumins it is the tape ...about the size of duct tape...that you are refering to...

there are 2 other hook ups that are corded wires..don't know tha technicle names...the one that clips in on the right of the cdrom and then this tape one in the center and them the 2 prong on the right side...

Sorry to sound ingnorant here, just have not dealt with this before...I don't trust a company...gateway screwed up my PC long ago and I will do it myself as long as I can figure it out...

Thanks///will try it.

Lol, we all had to start somewhere, just for your info, the one on the right is the power cable, the middle one is the EIDE cable and the one on the left is generally the audio jumper, although if its two pronged it might not be, no matter...

anyway, the cable you want to replace is the EIDE cable, you can follow my instructions below

-Power down your machine

-Unplug the EIDE cable from your motherboard and cdrom drive, as well as any other hardware it might be connected to

-Get your replacement EIDE cable and plug it into the motherboard and then plug in the cdrom and other hardware making sure that pin1(the coloured wire on mose EIDE cables) plugs into the right hand side of the cdrom...

okay, going now to get a EIDE Cable, I have one i stole off of an older machine, but I will just start fresh....

You said [that pin1(the coloured wire on mose EIDE cables) plugs into the right hand side of the cdrom...

I thought these were 2 different cables....middle cable didn't have anyother pin attached to it, it did have a colored end and then the one that went in the mother board was black...

I will chek back...

Er, no, there is only three cables...

Look on the EIDE cable, the 'duct tape' one and you should see a coloured strip running down one side, this signifies pin one... i said that direction so that the cable would go in the correct way if it didnt have a cable guide, a little plastic stub on the bottom of the connector...

:D Well, I got one, it was too short, not over all, but the middle hook up..it only went toa Zip drive that i never used anyway, so i din't even hook that part up, instead i got out a burner that someone had given me and hooked it up with the CD rom drive...using the same EIDE tape, my regular cd rom drive is FINALLY working even though the burner is not...should I use a seperate cbale for that...??

Any way ...THANKS for ALL!! At least my regular one is going now!!

Ah, if its now working then the problem is with whats called the jumpers, the little tabs that you could pull out of the drive and move around, they are set in the wrong posistion, you need them in the 'Master' posistion, not the 'Slave' posistion, or vice versa for the burner...

The top of the drive ussualy has the information on what jumper posistion you need to put it in...

hdd2.jpg

in the above image, the jumpers are located next to the power input port...

hdd4.jpg

and in this above pic, you can see that they are next to the audio out ports...

the words above them mean:

CSEL: Cable Select, dont use this

Slave: If this drive is second on the EIDE cable

Master: If this drive is first on the EIDE cable