Integrating Flyakite SP2 Components

First off, let me thank you for n-lite, this is incredible, I never thought I could customize windows, before installing it.

Not sure if anyone here has seen FlyakiteSP2, but it basically skins Windows to look/feel (as much as possible) like OSX... I am a long time Windows User, but I have to begin using OSX for work and such... to help smooth the transition, I have been using Flyakite and it has been great... what I am wondering is if I can get in to the Windows files and manually replace the bits and pieces with the OSX-like pieces between the n-lite customizing and burning the ISO...

If so, how. Could some one direct me to a to a tool that will allow me to locate the following types of files in the XP install disc files?

.cpl

.dll

.exe

.wav

.cur

.ttf

there's tons more... and I have been opening up the .cab files, but I am having no luck... I assume that they are nested inside the thousands of _files scattered about the i386 folder.

Any thoughts?

what i would do: first try to open the installer with an extracting tool like winrar or something, if that's not possible i would do it the hard way... use regshot to take care of what files are replaced/updated by the installer on %WINDIR% and %PROGRAMFILES% folders then i would simply use modifype+makecab to replace my files on the i386 folder... but i think this has nothing to do with nlite (correct me if it's necessary :P)

edit: forgot to say welcome to msfn ;)

Edited by SiMoNsAyS

@gelcode

Could some one direct me to a to a tool that will allow me to locate the following types of files in the XP install disc files?

I think I will share my secrets with you. You seem to be trying to do the same thing that I have already set up. One of the great things about "my method" is that it is OS independent, I even use it with Windows 2000 SP4, although some of the icons look a bit ugly because of the lack of alpha blending.

Anyway, I will do my best to explain the steps. Firstly, you need to extract the Flyakite archive... to do this, during installation choose the 'Extract Files Only' install type and the installer will extract all of the files to a directory of your choice instead of installing them.

Then I think you will see a folder for BatchMod. This is what you need. Copy it into the "$OEM$\$1\BatchMod" folder for your unattended CD.

In the BatchMod\_OUT folder you will need to have the replace.txt file. I can't remember if I made this myself, or if it was provided. But I can give it to you, if you need it. However, it has been a while since I updated this process, and it is still based on SP1 files.

The following folder should be left empty:

BatchMod\_IN

BatchMod\resources

BatchMod\logs (I think this folder can be empty also)

Inside the BatchMod\_SOURCE folder is where you should put all of the OSX related EXE's, DLL's, and CPL's.

Inside the BatchMod\js folder should be the copy.js, extract.js, and modify.js files.

Under the BatchMod\tools folder should be two subfolders named Replacer and ResHack.

Under the BatchMod\tools\Replacer folder should be the following files:

data

db.csv

readme.txt

Replacer.cmd

Under the BatchMod\tools\ResHack folder should be the following files:

ResHacker.exe

ResHacker.ini

Now that this is done... you need to add the following bit of code as the last line of your INSTALLS.BAT file that is inside you $OEM$ folder.

ECHO Beginning BatchMod Install ... 
START "BatchMod" /WAIT /MAX /HIGH "%SYSTEMDRIVE%\BatchMod\auto.cmd"

This will execute BatchMode and replace your files as the last step of install.bat.

Before it is executed though... I recommend removing the CD just in case WFP tries to grab a bunch of the files of the CD.

I hope this helps. This may not be exactly what you are looking for... but it is closely related, at least enough for some one to get some useful information out of it I think. And if you do it this way... you can use it with any version of the Windows 2000, 2003 or XP OSs, without manually changing every file.

Sorry Alanoll

Troglodyte, thanks for taking the time to respond... unfortunately I have not gotten very far with the info you posted, because I can't find a directory called BatchMod in the extracted Flyakite direcotry, nor a path on the CD relative to $OEM$\$1\BatchMod...

There is a directory called OEM, but no "1" directory within...

Any thoughts?

@gelcode

Troglodyte, thanks for taking the time to respond... unfortunately I have not gotten very far with the info you posted, because I can't find a directory called BatchMod in the extracted Flyakite directory

Don't worry about... I have just found that my instructions are now outdated and obsolete, lol. Now that the new version has been released, I just tried it... and believe it or not, it will run fine on Windows 2000 SP4... it correctly replaces all icons and sounds, etc. I was suprised... that means that this can be OS independent and work without the complicated instructions I described (with using BatchMod).

Now instead of what I described you should be able to do the following.

Copy the FlyakiteOSX v1.0.exe into the "$OEM$\$1\FlyakiteOSX" folder for your unattended CD.

Now that this is done... you need to add the following bit of code as the last line of your INSTALLS.BAT file that is inside you $OEM$ folder

ECHO Beginning BatchMod Install ...
START "BatchMod" /WAIT /MAX /HIGH "%SYSTEMDRIVE%\FlyakiteOSX\FlyakiteOSX v1.0.exe"

Or you might be able to get the executable to run directly off of the CD, which would be even better... so you could try that.

I have not tested this yet... but I see no reason that this should not work.

Good Luck, and let us know :)

Maybe my newb-ness is blindingly bright at the moment... but I can't find a INSTALLS.BAT file or $OEM$\$1\ path in the XP cd... is there a complete newb guide to doing this (can't find one in the stickies)...

Thanks again