We have any real guru's here?

seraph00

But, believing that anything Linux will ever put Microsoft out of business...  you are insane.  What do you think will happen if Linux ever takes hold of the market?  They would charge too.  Look at every freeware program that has ever been made.  Eventually everyone gets money hungry and linux would be no different.  Let's see if I can put this into terms you might be able to understand.  How much did you pay for Windows?  $200?  OK...  If that runs your PC for 5 years then you have $40 a year into the ability to do EVERYTHING from your computer.  Is that so bad?  I paid $1400 for a bed I will only have for 10 years.  Why?  Because it ensures I get a good night's rest every night.  Windows ensures you are able to use your PC to it's fullest extent.  So, if you believe that Linux will ever bring MS to it's knees...  keep dreaming.

Why are you addressing Linux like it's one company? The term envelops hundreds of thousands of people and thousands of companies across the world. Sure, you can charge money, like Red Hat does for support. Or you can charge nothing, like Debian, Ubuntu, Slackware... but there will never be the possibility for one company telling the others how to be. If Apache started charging $10,000 for processor licenses, then someone would find the previous release, fork it, and the entire community would switch to the free release.

In the long run, I can tell you why Red Hat and similar companies will be better off than Microsoft. We chose to pay $1500 for Windows Small Business Server 2003 Premium, because our new accounting program required MS-SQL. It's not a bad deal, really, unless you consider if we had to upgrade our entire office to XP.

XP Pro Licenses = $3,000

MS Office Licenses = $2,000

Antivirus Licenses = $500

Anti-Spyware = $500

Firewall Device w/VPN = $450

SBS 2003 Premium with CALs = $1500

-------

$7,950.00

Linux Clients = $0

OpenOffice Licenses = $0

Antivirus (not currently needed)

Anti-Spyware (not currently needed)

Firewall Device (not needed with OpenBSD or FreeBSD firewalls)

Server License = $0

------------

$0

Even if we paid a consulting company $2,000 a year to maintain our system, which is easy to get since VNCs make it easy for them to avoid on-site visits, I would have 4 years of functional, supported setup versus the license to run software that might need support anyway.

Under the linux setup I can write office documents, send e-mail, use Evolution as a replacement for Exchange groupware functionality, and not have to worry about Bill in Sales festering up his install with spyware or viruses. And if I absolutely have to have a feature they don't offer, I can pay someone money to add it in, because I have access to the source code.

The only reason this isn't happening currently in my office is because I haven't found a suitable accounting solution.

I say, bring on the DRM. We'll see how long Microsoft lasts once small businesses, which make up the vast majority of business consumers, are forced to pay full pop for their overpriced suites of software.

I know Linux is not one company... Thanks.

I know the costs associated with Microsoft. I just dumped over 10k upgrading our company to Windows Small Business Server 2003 Premium, 15 clients to Windows XP Professional and other upgrades needed. I wouldn't have it any other way either. We moved our server over from Redhat to Windows because the software available in the linux community just wasn't what was available in the Windows community. The cost we saved... productivity. Besides, the cost per user/seat really isn't that outrageous, especially when you take into account everything else it allows us to do (I know Linux can probably do most of it too)

Let's think about it another way... Microsoft employs a LOT of people. They are able to do so because of the money they charge. How will Linux pay people to work for them and create a bigger better product if they don't charge? What will this do to the companies that offer superior products, when they can get a free product that will work for them? What does this do to all of the techs, admins and everyone else out there who know M$? (myself included... guess you could say that's a great deal of the reason I dislike linux, because I don't know it quite so well) I believe Linux is a great product, and I believe it can do much of what M$ can too... I was simply stating that in order for Linux to overrun M$ they will have to put a price on it too. What motivates the people out there to make a superior product above M$? Money. And until the Linux community starts getting paid for their time, it's only a hobby. I would love to see the Linux community slap a small tag on their products, or hell... why not send it out like AOL disks... there are millions who don't have a clue what Linux is. The problem I see is that industry has a standard, M$. If you break into that standard and make multiple products the norm, you take jobs from the people who spent their time learing M$ products. I would love to see a product that was compatible with Windows (I know... long shot) What would happen if Ford decided they were going to build a car that was twice as wide as other cars, so you could only drive it down 2 lane roads... or if their car didn't work on normal roads?

What would happen if Ford decided they were going to build a car that was twice as wide as other cars, so you could only drive it down 2 lane roads... or if their car didn't work on normal roads?

That would be strange. BTW the average road measurement dates back to the Roman empire! It seems to be one of those "customary traditions" that we all end up doing. Like going to a camp and going paranoid if you forgot your toothpaste. Big deal, a damp cloth and patience will get the job done. Same could be done with roads, but rather difficult to convince human civilation to use a "new" size, since it has grown a familiarity with the "standard" road size. Saying that would be like re-establishing a new second (time) measurement. That thing alone would change all known technology. It would be a global block-buster.

Knowing how modern people act at such drastic changes, Ford would better go bankrupt than pull a stunt like that! <grin>

BTW: That Neurotically Yours character you use in your avatar is really, really funny!