T-bird and firefox not installing

totoymola, there's 2 things that i think could be responsible for this.

1. After install, on first run of firefox, the MSI still does a "configuring itself" (progress bar).

2. Remember the VBS script popping up in notepad instead of being run? This can happen if he changes default behaviour of VBS from Open to Edit (like I do). This would mean that the MSI won't go ahead and finish the setup until the notepad window is closed - and the notepad window is not displayed at T-12! :lol:

To fix the second probable cause, you'd need to change the installer to run the VBS using cscript.exe :)

@prathapml, let me answer these in order.

1. After install, on first run of firefox, the MSI still does a "configuring itself" (progress bar).
That is my mistake on my previous builds. Because I used an "Advertised Shortcut" instead of a regular shorcut. Advertised shortcuts tends to scan for the original file before running the program. If it detects some changes to the files originally insalled by the msi, or if it detects that there is a missing file, it will try to configure itself to comply with the changes or it will revert to it's originall configuration. That is my BIG mistake. :lol: But I don't use those shortcuts now.
2. Remember the VBS script popping up in notepad instead of being run? This can happen if he changes default behaviour of VBS from Open to Edit (like I do). This would mean that the MSI won't go ahead and finish the setup until the notepad window is closed - and the notepad window is not displayed at T-12!

I don't understand this well. Are you pertaining to the vbscript that runs while installing Firefox? To be honest, I don't use that vbscript anymore on my recent builds. Because I have to admit that there is an easier way, so I gave up on using my own method. :P The basic Firefox msi doesn't has any vbscirpt on it. So as the Thunderbird msi.

Finally, could you give me more info about cscript.exe? I'm don't know that much about scripting. :blushing:

Thanks. :)

Edit: But you are correct. If the user changes his default action for vbs files, the old installer will not run properly. Much more if he exports his regtweaks from cmdlines.

Oooh, new builds... so I'm outdated now ;)

Okay, I'll dl your newest build. But I don't know from where?

Hmm... and as for the cscript:

Try running cscript at a CMD window to see all switches. In fact, whenever you run a VBS, it is either cscript or its graphical-equivalent wscript which handles the script. So, what can be done is to change from running (for example)

profile.vbs

during install, to this command instead:

cscript //B profile.vbs

That will silently run the VBS without any problem on any machine (which has Windows Scripting installed).

Let me explain the above... the above command basically routes profile.vbs to be run through cscript.exe, which is the normal action anyway. To make it clearer, try this:

1. Make a new text file (new.txt) on desktop, type anything into it.

2. Now rename it to "new.ttx" - you will see that clicking on it brings up "open with" dialog box.

3. Cancel out of the "open with", and start a CMD window instead.

cd desktop
notepad new.ttx

Typing the above commands will make you go into your desktop folder (where new.ttx is located) and then route new.ttx to be opened by notepad. This concept of getting the original app to run its associated file, is what is done by making cscript.exe to run profile.vbs

In fact, the above can be very useful in some ways. Rename "#!@$.mpeg" to "plain.gpm" instead. Then open a command window in that folder and open that video with its proper viewer:

wmplayer plain.gpm

So now, you see that no one can open that video and view it except for you. Becomes very useful, if you get what I mean... :lol:

Oh well, I hope the above explanation helps in some way... Because you have already said you aren't using VBS anymore. But what is the link to new build then? Thanks!

Thanks for the info prathapml! I guess I didn't explore the registry that much that's why I didn't know that cscript.exe is the default handler for vbscripts. :blushing::lol: You explained it very well. No further questions. :lol:

As for the download link for the Firefox, it is posted on the first post of Simon's guide. I have two msi's there. The first one is my very first build, which really sucks. Don't bother downloading that. :lol: The second one is the basic Firefox msi installer, that has nothing but Flash player plug-in. Most users prefer that version, so they can customize their installation by using the SFXed profile approach.

Note: You have to delete the "Mozilla Firefox\defaults" before importing your SFXed profile.

You can download it here: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...ndpost&p=179381

REG ADD %KEY%\010 /VE /D "Daemon Tools 3.47" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\010 /V 1 /D "%I%\daemon\daemon.msi /qb-! /norestart" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\010 /V 2 /D "%I%\daemon\copy.cmd" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\010 /V 3 /D "%I%\daemon\awxinstall.cmd" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\015 /VE /D "Diskkeeper Profressional Edition v9.0.509" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\015 /V 1 /D "%I%\diskkeeper\diskkeeper.exe" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\020 /VE /D "Firefox 1.0" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\020 /V 1 /D "%I%\firefox\firefox.msi /qb" /f

so daemon is a MSI, diskkeeper is a MSI called out of an SFX, and both install and run correctly as I have tested those. The diskkeeper pro I have is an EXE that extracts a MSI to the temp directory, so I just copied the MSI out

REG ADD %KEY%\062 /VE /D "Shockwave Installer 10.1" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\062 /V 1 /D "%I%\shockwave\shockwave.msi /qb" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\065 /VE /D "Symantec Antivirus Corporate 9.0" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\065 /V 1 /D "%I%\sav\sav.exe" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\067 /VE /D "Thunderbird 1.0" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\067 /V 1 /D "%I%\thunderbird\thunderbird.exe" /f

shockwave, obvious MSI, antivirus is a MSI called from a SFX archive and that installs correctly.

So I know MSIs have installed back to back before, even out of SFXs, so I'm puzzled.

In any event...

@ totoymola: the thunderbird version is 1.0. I just noticed your question about that

@ p388l3s: I totally forgot about CD-RWs :blushing: haha... I'll have to start using those.

Actually, it does make more sense to install TB and FF at the beginning... the java plugin for mozilla (i'm not even sure it would work with FF, I haven't had a chance to test that yet) wouldn't get installed if the browser isn't installed yet.

I'll move them to the top and we'll see what happens.

@ prathapml: That's cool stuff... def will come in handy :P:whistle:

Thanks for all the help so far all... I'll post results later tonight as I'm burning a new image now.

@totoymola

I believe the first build of yours... was the one I absolutely loved (except for the VBS :P). It had BBcode, FireFTP, IRC, gmail, Noia skin, etc.

Well, let me just say that build of yours helped to quieten some people, who were complaining that firefox did not have features comparable to other browsers. It was literally the FireTRUCK with jam-packed features. Just installing from MSI did the job (without needing SFXes). haha... Actually now its called firefox Superman edition here!

great job indeed :thumbup

I think even rendrag's problem might be solved by using that first build (it was 18 MB in size, the one with andr bookmark). It is very simple to use, and running it as one of the first installs (before applying any tweaks to change default handler of VBS) should work fine.

interesting results... now i'm even more stumped...

installed FF # 1 and TB #2... those installed no problem.... I get all the way to winamp, and it then pops up saying an install is currently running

REG ADD %KEY%\065 /VE /D "Symantec Antivirus Corporate 9.0" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\065 /V 1 /D "%I%\sav\sav.exe" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\070 /VE /D "UltraISO 7.2.5.923" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\070 /V 1 /D "%I%\ultraiso\ultraisosetup.exe /VERYSILENT /SP-" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\070 /V 2 /D "%I%\ultraiso\uiso.cmd" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\075 /VE /D "Winamp 5.08 and skins" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\075 /V 1 /D "%I%\winamp\winamp.msi ini=%I%\winamp\setup.ini /qb" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\075 /V 2 /D "%I%\winamp\copy.cmd" /f

could winrar be exiting before the MSI is unloaded from memory? The only thing that prevents me from believing that is UltraISO runs after SAV, so I can't see SAV not having enough time to complete.

At least some progress is made right? :wacko:

:D

@rendrag

Yes, some progress is made. That is a known issue with winrar SFXes. Your ff or tB installer is not getting started until after something else, it seems.

Just use the SFX to silently extract to defined location (like %systemdrive%\install\apps\firefox). Then run the MSI from there. Don't use winrar SFX for running executables/setup.

Try the MSI from the link totoymola has posted above.

maybe I'm so behind the times, but I still use the batch files with the start /wait thing

so I'm not familiar with the reg add %key stuff

but is there a way to install firefox via the batch files?

plus, why did people get away from batch files?

Hello ^_^! (Is that a smiling face? :lol: )

maybe I'm so behind the times, but I still use the batch files with the start /wait thing

so I'm not familiar with the reg add %key stuff

The add %key% part is for the runonceex.cmd. :)

Of course there is a way to install Firefox with batch files. It is basically the same. thing.

I am a little late for this topic, but I too had problems with Firefox__1.0___totoymola_.exe. It wouldn't install for me during an unattended install, but when I decided to just double click on the file after everything was done and the reboot, it installed without an prompts. I was a little suprised because I didn't use any switches, oh well :). I extracted the msi from the exe file and I am now going to try to install from the msi file. I will post back with some results.

BTW... here is my code:

HKLM,"%RunOnceEx%\0015",,,"Azureus 2.0.2.2"
HKLM,"%RunOnceEx%\0015",1,,"%24%\installs\common\azureus\setup.exe /S"

HKLM,"%RunOnceEx%\0020",,,"Mozilla Firefox 1.0"
HKLM,"%RunOnceEx%\0020",1,,"%24%\installs\common\firefox\setup.exe /qb"
HKLM,"%RunOnceEx%\0020",2,,"%24%\installs\common\firefox\profile.exe"
HKLM,"%RunOnceEx%\0020",3,,"%24%\installs\common\firefox\firefox.cmd"

HKLM,"%RunOnceEx%\0026",,,"ID3-TagIT 3.2.1"
HKLM,"%RunOnceEx%\0026",1,,"%24%\installs\common\ID3-tagit\ID3-TagIT-Setup.exe /VERYSILENT"

Thanks

Philip