PnP Hardware Detection

mediapla

I use a unattend XP Install cd with a lot of drivers. They installation is unattended and normally the drivers will installed very fine. Now i have a problem with a FSC Amilo Notebook. The onboard soundchip is a crystal AC97 ICH4. But at the end of the XP install process there is a Realtek AC97 chip installed. No problems in the Devicemanager, mixer is installed - but no sound...i must reinstall the drivers.

How can i use the original device drivers to install unattended ? Must i change the inf files or the device path in winnt.sif ? Why a realtek driver is installed ? :}

Did you use DriverPack Sound? I guess not.

Well why is this Realtek drivers installed? Very easy: each device has a unique DeviceID (well, it should be unique...), and as you know Realtek is a manufacturer that sells its chips to many other brands. This brand 'crystal' as you say, has simply used a chip of Realtek and kept the same DeviceID. That's why Realtek's drivers are getting installed.

There are a couple of solutions:

1. download Realtek's newest driver, let Windows install this one (OemPnPDriversPath in your winnt.sif) and hope your soundcard will work properly.

2. install Crystal's driver by its setup

3. install Crystal's driver with the devcon utility.

4. remove the realtek driver out of drivers.cab and add Crystal's one (again with OemPnPDriversPath in your winnt.sif)

I've ranked them by difficulty: the first one is the easiest.

Sorry, but i dont use the driverpack, have my own drivers(only for our selled machines)...but i will try your tip, because i believe my realtek drivers are not the newest. Another question to tip3:

I haver heared something about the devcon utility, have it also downloaded, but how it works ? I have a so called ScaleoUpdatePack from FSC, which uses this utility. It scans all hardware on the machine and installs the newest drivers for it.

But idont know how it works -there are no commandline parameters, it installs through a *exe file and a 7zip archive.

Sorry, but i dont use the driverpack, have my own drivers(only for our selled machines)...but i will try your tip, because i believe my realtek drivers are not the newest. Another question to tip3:

I haver heared something about the devcon utility, have it also downloaded, but how it works ? I have a so called ScaleoUpdatePack from FSC, which uses this utility. It scans all hardware on the machine and installs the newest drivers for it.

But idont know how it works -there are no commandline parameters, it installs through a *exe file and a 7zip archive.

Scaleo is a product-line from Fujitsu-Siemens, right? And they use 7z archives? :o I'm interested :P

Use the search function and search for "devcon" in the "Device Drivers" forum, you'll find all info you need. It's been discussed a couple of weeks ago.

@mediapla

found this link:scaleo driver update-pack winXP (69mb - for all scaleo models 2003/2004 !)

The 7z archive is password protected. the exe first checks if branded FSC computer then extract all drivers in a %systemroot%\xxxxxx dir.

But there is no batch file or exe other than devcon.exe and 7z console tool exe

all the install is done through the main exe which extract first all drivers files.