Windows XP Pro Won't go through the setup.

joeyg2391

Hi,

I 'm trying to install windows XP pro on my computer. But for some reason when i go through the initial setup i get the the BSOD saying UNMOUNTABLE BOOT DEVICE. It doesn't even allow me to go through the recovery console. I tried this with two different HD's (120GB and 20GB) and the same thing happens. So i decided to put the HD's on an external case and they work perfectly. I updated to the latest bios for my Asus A7N8X deluxe mobo to see if that helped but no. I took out everything from my motherboard and only left the HD and CD rom connected. the bios reads the harddrive at it's full capacity. I did a memory test with memtest 86 and no errors. Any recommendations I would greatly appreciate it. I starting to think its my motherboard or cpu.

maybe is sata related? are your HDs sata? have you slipstreamed sata drivers on text-mode installation? have you used the latest Sil3112 drivers?

ps: you can edit your previous post to add aditional information :P

Edited by SiMoNsAyS

i've got the same mobo and i've used ide drives, maybe the problem was caused by disabling sata using the jumpers.

things you can try:

-restore sata jumpers

-format both drives with partition magic (DOS version) and test if you can access them from command-line

-check the mobo's manual for recommendations

-restore default values on bios

-test the HDs individually

-if that not solve the problem call asus

... sorry i can't help more ...

Edited by SiMoNsAyS

installing windows 98 worked but using FAT32. I'm going to try to install windows 2000 pro from 98 to NTFS and see if it works that way. Do any one of you believe its a mobo issue or harddrive issue? WHat do u think was the problem?