Intel( R ) 82801EB LPC Interface Controller - 24D0

Jeremy

Can anyone tell me what an "Intel® 82801EB LPC Interface Controller - 24D0" is?

I have a FireWire card that is recognised by my PC but anything connected to it won't show any life signs. This unknown device controls PCI devices as far as me and my friend know, but the drivers for it aren't even on the Dell XP Home SP1 CD and this device has never been unknown before.

Something just isn't right. I had this firewire card for 5 years or more and it always worked fine. One day, it just stopped working altogether. I have a Maxtor External HD and a DVC that I connect to the PC through this thing and they don't show any life to the PC. I even bought a new FireWire card yesterday and the same thing happens. I nLite my PC, but non of my nLite ISO's have ever caused the hardware not to work, I don't remove the FireWire drivers. In Device Manager, I get Unknown Device and installing my Chipset drivers given to me by Dell, that device stil remains unknown. I even tried switching PCI ports to see if that would magically work. All my other hardware is fine. I have NO idea why this has happened and what to do to fix it to regain access to my external HD and my videocamera through the PC.

After I put it in a different PCI slot, the new hardware icon popped up in the System Tray but soon disappeared without popping up the New Hardware Wizard. Whatever this "Intel® 82801EB LPC Interface Controller - 24D0" device is, it apparently controls PCI devices. I have discussed this with a friend of mine and he thinks the PC sees my FireWire partly because under Network Adapters in Device Manager, "1394 Net Adapter" shows up. But whatever allows the PC to see devices that are connected to the FireWire ports, isn't working properly, I guess. My best guess, that is.

Ok, I've dug into this more and I think perhaps I need the INFInst.exe for my particular Chipset Family. I am unsure what family mine is, but I have installation files for my particular one on my Dell ResourceCD. However, this does not fix the "Unknown Device" Yellow ? and ! in Device Manager...

How do I find out what Chipset Family mine is?