Give Me Your Ideas....

XPerties

..and please no bulls*** "pent suck thats why" remarks....serious replys only thanks.

I posted this over on asus board forums but thought maybe some of you might throw some ideas my way...heres what I said..

Hey guys nice to see the place still doing good. I was know as cjhenry and havent been here in almost 2 years. Back in the day i loved OC'ing my Pent 3 but since then Ive been stuck on a abit board with a amd cpu. Man did i hate that. Well 2 days ago I went to a pc show and said "what the hell, the price is great"...and grab a Pent 4 2.4b and ASUS P4S533 MB. Didnt have much money for ddr ram so I got some pny 2100 at best buy that was on special.

Well i didnt really know where to place this post so I stuck it here considering what im about to write will contain alot of s***.

When I got home that night I immediatly threw in the new toys and booted, well XP being a POS shut down on me, no surprise so I booted from the disk to do a new reinstall. Well half way through the install both my cdrw and dvd drive disappeared on me. Wouldnt see any. The bios saw them but trying to boot and finish the setup was a failure. So i spent the next 2 days trying to switch cables, jumpers...everything! Well this morning I grabed a old cdrom 6x spped...yah real old...and unhooked the other two and bam booted and installed XP, and then unhooked it and reinstalled the 2 new drives in XP. Everythings great now. Im not sure what the promblem was.

Anyways I flashed the bios to 1009 from 1007. Im running XP W/sp1. All the Bios settings are default except the onboard ethernet and sound is disabled. I havent tried to OC yet because I wanted to come to the experts "YOU GUYS!" and see what youd recommend for everything. The heatsink and fan is the basic intel brand that came with it. Ill be looking into a new one today.

So what do you guys think? This may sound funny but for some reason the t-bird 1.4 and this cpu doesnt seem any different and that shouldnt be. Is there some agp updates Im missing or ide updates or hell even a intell update driver. Ive spent about and hour or so reading alot of post but its tuff to sift through everything. So give it to me straight...did I wasnt my money or am I over looking a ton of updates.

Thanks and its great to be back on a asus and pent setup, Ill be around for ahwile....sorry...lol

what yah think?

Many things to look at here. In the comparison of the Thunderbird 1.4 and the P4 2.4 we need to know what the mother board is on the T-bird, memory, video card, etc. As well the same info on the P4. Now what O.S. on each? If you have any bench marks on the old system that you can use to compare to the new one. FthrJACK is correct in his statement as well. You will not see any real difference in day to day operation until you have had chance to do some tweaking on the O.S. and your new system setup. It does take a few weeks to get everything tuned in unless you have everything setup in advance for the transfer.........

The i850 chipset is the key to speed for this board.

This board is designed for overclocking.

Only RAMBUS will take it past its official 3.2 GB memory bandwidth. Do not use DDR400 PC3200 as it has had stability problems in testing. Keep in mind that you must use 32 bit RAM at all times.

Your configuration will overshadow similar AMD Athlon XP 1800+ configurations when playing graphics intensive games. Step the clock cycles 1 at a time till your are comfortable with game performance. This board is an overclockers dream.

Keep in mind that this board scores average on all business bench marks even with the FSB 533 and the PC2100 DIMMS. That is okay. This board was not designed for servers or work stations.

Theoretically, the onboard DSP codec for sound uses a small fraction of the CPU. You can disable it in the BIOS and install a better audio card and take the burden off the CPU.

This board does NOT support ATA/133 IDE channels and AGP 8X. So no need to buy an ATA-133 HD. Stay with the ATA-100 in an IDE configuration.

Very nice board, chipset, and BIOS.

Check out this review for additional tweaks:

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,3973...3,428366,00.asp

thanks man but thats not my board...this is the specs on my board:

Introduction  

Introducing the ASUS P4S533 Series, a technological breakthrough for Pentium 4 processor based systems. With the first DDR 333MHz memory support for Pentium 4, 533MHz FSB and robust integrated features, the P4S533 Series unleashes a new dimension of performance and value.

Latest 533 MHz FSB P4 CPU Support
The latest P4S533 motherboard supports Socket 478 Intel® P4 processors, which utilize the most advanced 0.13um process technology to provide frequencies up to 2.2GHz, delivering robust features and performance for your digital world. The Intel® P4 offers optimized performance for audio, video, and Internet applications. The 533MHz FSB increases bandwidth and improves overall system performance.

SiS® MuTIOL® Technology
SiS® MuTIOL® technology, the new bus architecture, connects SiS 645DX and SiS 961B together, and delivers 533MB/s bandwidth between North Bridge and South Bridge and even up to 1.2GB/s for South Bridge internal bus frequency.

Unleash the Power of Pentium® 4 with DDR 333
Are you getting the most out of your Pentium® 4 The new P4S533 with DDR 333 memory enables incredible performance, while delivering exceptional value and robust onboard features.

ASUS MyLogo™
Get rid of boring boot up screens. ASUS MyLogo™ personalizes and adds style to your system with customizable boot logos.

ASUS Q-Fan
Constant, high-pitched noise generated from heatsink fans are a thing of the past thanks to ASUS Q-Fan. The ASUS P4S533 with Q-Fan technology intelligently adjusts fan speeds according to system loading to ensure quiet, cool and efficient operation.

ASUS Post Reporter™
During the computer POST (Power On Self-Test), ASUS POST Reporter provides friendly voice warnings through internal or external speaker, clearly explaining system errors for quick and easy optimization. With the voice-ready version of the ASUS PC Probe software installed, voice warnings of hardware errors can also be issued in your Windows operating system. The bundled Winbond Voice Editor software allows users to add customized system voice warnings and multi-language support.

ASUS EZ Plug™
The ASUS EZ Plug™ power connector lets you use your existing power supply and eliminates the need to buy a special ATX 12V power supply necessary to support your P4 CPU.

Extreme Overclocking
ASUS P4S333 offers robust overclocking options to maximize your system performance.
Easy DIP Switch or Jumperfree™ overclocking from BIOS.
Flexible CPU Core Voltage Adjustments in 0.05V increments over defaults
Accurate 1MHz adjustments of system-bus-frequency
Overclockable AGP bus
Adjustable VIO memory voltage
Adjustable FSB/PCI/MEM ratio
Rock-solid stability

ASUS Reliability
All ASUS motherboards are designed and tested to meet the highest quality standards. Responsive customer support and frequent BIOS and driver updates ensure that you're getting the fastest, most reliable performance - all the time. All ASUS motherboards are also backed by a 3-year limited warranty.

Comprehensive Software Bundle
All ASUS motherboards include a valuable software bundle of popular third party programs that enable you to enjoy the full capabilities of your ASUS product:
Trend® Micro PC-cillin 2000 anti-virus program
ASUS® PC Probe for system monitoring
Cyberlink® PowerPlayer SE, Video Live Mail

Key Specifications

Intel® Socket 478 Pentium® 4 processor support up to 2.4GHz and beyond
533MHz front-side-bus
SiS® 645DX chipset
3 DIMMs up to 3GB of PC2700/PC2100/PC1600 DDR memory support
C-Media CM18738 6-channel audio
Optional Integrated SiS® LAN controller
AGP 4X slot, UDMA 66/100
MuTIOL® bus advanced I/O technology
Optional SPDIF interface module
6 PCI, AGP 4X slot, up to 6 USB ports
ATX form-factor

Ah, crap :)

Basically, it is the same board, but has the SiS Chipset which is supposed to better than the i850 in that it provides more features and integrates better sound. It is a very stable board.

The real difference is the RAM. DDR vs RDRAM.

We have a ongoing discussion for your board at:

http://techzonez.com/forums/showthread.php...=&threadid=2649

If you find a good review let us know. This may be on my Christmas list.