CDBOOT: Couldn't find NTLDR

jcgohl

I followed the instructions from flyakite and am trying to test in VM 2004 captured AIO-DVD.iso and am getting this error CDBOOT: Couldn't find NTLDR. not sure what I'm doing wrong...even went as far as using his cdshell.ini file exactly the same...nothing happens...getting frustrated...any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm having the same problem. will someone help us out. stop telling us to do s*** that don't work. its not fun when people tell us stuff that is bull and we do it over and over and get no where. for once in a lifetime will someone help us the f*** out. fix our f***ing ntldr problem now.

I'm having the same problem. will someone help us out. stop telling us to do s*** that don't work. its not fun when people tell us stuff that is bull and we do it over and over and get no where. for once in a lifetime will someone help us the f*** out. fix our f***ing ntldr problem now.

not to rude or anything.....

But seeing as there are SO FEW people who have this problem who have followed that guide, it is MOST LIKELY USER ERROR. What the guide tells you to do WORKS.

As bobby100 said, are they from the same version of windows? When making the CD, did you first make it, then add SP2 to the install? If so, did you remake the boot folders? Did you use CAPITAL LETTERS when hexing?

yea i followed the directions and yes the files are from the same version of windows xp. last time i checked cd roms from microsoft are not writable so if they got changed its microsoft's stupid idea. no the directions don't work i followed them a few times over the past 5 days and i can't get anything past ntldr. that file is getting annoying. i want xp pro in pro1 dir and home in the home dir but pro don't work in pro1. someone help us and get rid of the ntldr file for good.

Ok I found out what the problem was. This has not been mentioned in any faq's or any of the guides in making a multiboot cd/dvd. The problem that is occuring is within the bootsector file. For instance xp.dat or an xp.bin boot file. Within the boot file when you replace the i386 with your new folder it should be in caps and not lower case. For instance if you use easyboot to replace text within xp.dat under the easyboot folder it will state about 0 bites have been writen. However if you type I386 and replace with your folder name it goes though. Now if you use lower case for your folder for instance if you have a folder called xppro in lower case letters and you type it the same way in the replace feild when replacing i386 it will not work. So you have to type it XPPRO in all caps and replace I386 with XPPRO.

Xppro was an example though. You can put it in any folder you wish just remember to make it all caps. Also remember the i is also caps as in I.

Replace I386 with XXXX and you'll be fine. Just remember easyboot only allows 4 letters but if you use ultraedit or another text editor you can replace I386 with more then 4 letters providing that they are all caps as well like XXXXXXX and it will boot.

I hope I have helped everyone with there ntldr problems cause i helped myself after a 2 week headache. Good luck to all and if you happen to run into anymore ntldr errors then please post I'll be back around to keep things inline with ntldr errors.

Later.

now seriously....

did you not read what I sead or search for CDBOOT errors?

Did you use CAPITAL LETTERS when hexing?

I'VE REPEATEDLY TOLD PEOPLE TO USE CAPITAL LETTERS

Also, just a side note to others, it is NOT advised to replace I386 with something OTHER then ANOTHER 4 LETTER directory. It's the basis of hex editing, you can't add bytes as you don't know how it will affect the internals of the file. It's an assembled file, and as such when you're reading it in HEX, most of which you see are the VARIABLES, and the code underlying is invisible and so adding bytes could alter the code. I'm not saying it doesn't work, HOWEVER it's NOT ADVISED.

EDIT:: After looking at the guide, did you even notice that when it's telling you to replace I386 with PRO1, and it doesn't say replace I386 with pro1?

@sdennis91

Sorry to tell you this but I warned you about this in the topic you posted yesterday!

follow this guide and watch for I or i 386
6) Start EasyBoot, click 'Tools'->'Replace Text', browse file 'c:\easyboot\disk1\ezboot\xpen.bin', and specify 'I386' as "Text to Replace", 'XPEN' as "Replace to", then click 'Replace', 1 occurence should be replaced

And as Alanoll said, everything is detailled in the guide...

Go see what I think about your attitude in your original post HERE