need help Re-programing an app <<noob>>

Hi im newish to programing and have been reading/studying for a few weeks now, i think im in the right forum to ask this ah well here goes......

I downloaded an app/program named MirLander from www.mirlander.com

Heres the thing, theres a list of characters inside that app and i need to get that list... so far its impossible, its just no were to be seen :angry:

Iv Hex'ed used many programs such as W32Dasm etc to try and find the list of characters, but no luck. I knows its theres tho!!

Would any one be able to help me out here please, all help would be very appreciated :D

Thanks

It looks like you are searching for a message box text for a cracking purpose.

Am I wrong?

If I'm not, I don't think you're in the good forum for that : rule #1.

BTW search your text with OllyDbg instead of W32Dasm.

-DOT-

Im not surching for the message box text for a cracking purpose, Im searching for it for information on how the way people play the game :yes:

I'll try using OllyDbg to search for the text, then post back on updates

Fox

Hi, I used the new program you suggested instead of the one i was using.... still had no luck in finding the character names. This is like the hardest thing ever, im not going to give up though :)

If any one wonts to try it out and see how far you can get the site for the "MirLander" program is in my first post, or here is a direct link, http://www.sf58.com/mirlander2.0.zip

Any more advise you can offer me for this?

• 3 weeks later...

The DB is online. The program does a check on the ID, then uploads that ID to the DB and waits for a correct value returned. When it gets that value, if good, it allows you to use the program to it's full potential.

You could just find the location where the program stores the ID awaiting upload after all checks are done, and patch it with a name you know already exists in the online DB

You could also just jump from the point of where all the checking is done to a place where all checks have been done and you can use the prog.

there's probably better skilled people on this forum you have better ways....maybe they can share the knowledge....this is of course for educational purposes ;)

My guess is that the program is obfuscated, in which case its nearly impossible to get hard coded info back out, there are ways, but generally they are even more long and tedious than is generally nessecary... However, try a program called ResHack, it will show all the resources available to the program that are hard coded into it, still, its not garenteed that it will work. You might be able however to use it to find the location of the online dbase, and the comm protocols used, and then make your own program to access it. Also, consider that those lists may not actually be in the program itself, they may be satalight files, search there too...

Welcome to the much annoying(yet amazingly useful) world of reverse enginering!

Now, this is just a clue...

Try checking if your desired file has been compressed. Many authors do that so that people don't meddle with the resources, like you're trying to do. There's various methods of EXE compression, the most popular being UPX and ASpack compressors (google for more info on it). You can use the same to uncompress it, and then you can easily peek into it.

Do post back with your results.

hey fox is getting some help at last :)

prathapml ya thats exactly what hes done i opened up the prog in win32dasm lastnight just to poke around see if i could find anything and it reported back that a good part of its compressed... so sounds like thats exactly what hes done so many the DB is actually inside the prog after all.

Of course there still is the annoying issue of what format the db is in... if its protected info it most likely wont be in plain text format. The auther might have done some tricky dbasing stuff and both encrypted and compressed it. Rather like the format used on protected dvd's. Of course this is just conjecture, but, it'll be interesting to see what fox reports back with.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello there I am trying to do the same thing although they regularly update it. I believe it is updated on a daily bases to add new registered players on the data base. I noticed one thing a friend has it registered. He said that he paid to be a registered member gave them a name to register. He downloaded the program and tried to use it but it said he was not registered. He asked them to check if he was registered. They asked him to re download it again, although he had previously downloaded it an hour before. By the sounds of it all the registered names are in the program coded in. What I am trying to do is the following please can some one help me:

1) View the list of registered players. (If not too much effort)

2) By pass the verifying part on the program, allowing full access every time.

Download Latest version of the client:

Here

Hope some one can help im still waiting no one seams to have messaged me or been able to offer any suport.

A freind sent me these i dont know if he was refering to this program or another as he does not speak good english but i hope it can help some way many thanks.

View below it may be of some help.

http://www.smir.co.uk/upload/uploaded/fordeath.JPG

http://www.smir.co.uk/upload/uploaded/editor.JPG

http://www.smir.co.uk/upload/uploaded/fefe.JPG

Hey guys! im back ;)

Been working on this for ages now, very very far and nerly have it done, for those of you that have said it may be an online DB thats wrong. B)

The data base its self actally comes with the exe, the data base of all the character names is compiled,encoded AND zipped into a .dll

yeah i know, but it isn't that hard ^_^ lol. so far i have began to open the character names data base, there isn't enugh (to complicated) to insert new characters into the DB, so all you have to do is edit a character already on the DB (theres hundreds).

thanks you all very much for your support, i havn't done it yet but very close, keep the info coming :thumbup

Thanks for those screenies 2fast :thumbup

Now off to find more info!

Hey guys! im back ;)

Been working on this for ages now, very very far and nerly have it done, for those of you that have said it may be an online DB thats wrong.  B)

The data base its self actally comes with the exe, the data base of all the character names is compiled,encoded AND zipped into a .dll

yeah i know, but it isn't that hard ^_^ lol.  so far i have began to open the character names data base, there isn't enugh (to complicated) to insert new characters into the DB, so all you have to do is edit a character already on the DB (theres hundreds).

thanks you all very much for your support, i havn't done it yet but very close, keep the info coming  :thumbup

Thanks for those screenies 2fast :thumbup

Now off to find more info!

could u share what program u used to get into the dll's? and the exe i have been trying for a while now and stumbled across this forum while looking for help, hi all btw

i was thinking same about the database being stored inside the program as norton never asked to give it permission to access the net first time i opened it

thx in advance

/rampage

Hey m8, Im not going to name the name of the program i am using at the min as I don't know if it will work properly, Im going to try a few programs and when/if any of them work i will post back :)