Computers not Talking

dezzmo

I have 3 computers at home on a network all running xp and managed by a FBSD server with internet sharing. One of these is a laptop that I also use at work.

Of the other two desktop computers only one of these is able to access the laptop. The one which is blocked is told it doesnt have access to that computer. I have looked at numerous options but nothing seems to have changed. The laptop was running with sp2, so in turn I turned off the firewall setting and then removed sp 2. Nothing changed.

The two desktop computers are able to communicate without any problems.

I can access the laptop computer at work from my workstation running 2000 on a domain.

Any ideas??

What I need to add was that previously the reverse was occurring. This desktop would not allow the laptop in but it could access the laptop. By reformatting this desktop computer, it became accessible to the laptop and still is!

Is the workgroup name the same on all three pc's?

XP Pro uses Workgroup

XP Home uses MSHOME

The laptop has a different workgroup name to the others, but I dont think it is an issue. I am beginning to thnk that xp sp2 is the issue. When both computers were blocking the other out they had both been rolled back from sp2 after thaat had stopped networking on a lager scale - there are more computers on the network.