compaq system restore disk 2

calvnandhobbs68

First, let me just say that I am new to this forum and I didn't know where to put this so I put it here.

I need to do a system recovery on a Presario 6370us. I don't actually have the system, I just took the Presario MB and hard drive out to build my computer. Now, the only problem is that I have all of the system recovery disks except for disk 2. Does anyone know where I can get the files or a copy of the disk??

I've already talked to Compaq support online. They told me that I could buy system restore disks off of their website. I went to get the recovery disks and they didn't have them.

The reason that I need to do system restore is that I cannot access Windows XP, I can't even start at safe mode!! Every time I try to it stops at Mup.sys and gives me a blue screen. I have researched this error and the only thing that many people have said about it is to do a repair reinstall or a system recovery. If anyone can give me help on this error also, I would greatly appreciate it.

Keep in mind that this model is from 2002, which makes it fairly old, so I really didn't expect Compaq to have the system recovery disks. ;)

Well, I dont have an answer to your problem, you did bring up something that got me thinking. I was wondering why there isn't a "step-by-step confirmation" selection in the Windows XP Startup menu, this would be a great addition to us techs.

Sorry I couldn't help you. You might just want to pick up a copy of Windows XP, because that system restore disk is probubly just an image of the hard drive, so on first boot Windows is going to go nuts when it see's all the hardware changes, and you'll be callin to activate before you logon.

Keep in mind that this model is from 2002, which makes it fairly old, so I really didn't expect Compaq to have the system recovery disks.
Yep, this is quite the #1 reason why you should not by PC that come with recovery disks instead that "normal" OS.

Some ideas:

1) just get the data you need off it by putting the HD as slave on a working system

2) try deleting and replace the files that give you error by the same method

(of course you need an XP cd later as suggested by chunkdog to install OS)

A note:

Presario had problems with XP SP1:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;en-us;Q329450

However, first thing is what is suggested here:

There's a lot of talk and possible solutions. So listen up.

First off... even though the operating system halts and/or reboots right after MUP.sys loads, it does NOT mean this is the culprit as a few others have mentioned. MUP is for Novell Netware (Client-Server)communication. There have been Win2000 service pack bugs in the past involving mup.sys locking the system or rebooting if MUP was disabled to start with. Some experience this issue resolved by disabling MUP in recovery console while it does not work for others. This can be explained. Driver order is very important. Changes to this order can seriously disrupt timing of devices loading. Delays in hardware can occur, causing the operating system to LOCK at a particular file when loading. Hence the MUP.sys problem. While disabling MUP works for some, I can only assume that file was corrupted. I have no other explanation for how they link to each other.

Some people mention removing their USB cards or switching cards around on the PCI bus to workaround the issue. This too can be explained.

For this problem, there is no exact error message. You can check this by pressing F8 and disabling automatic restart on system failure. The message you most likely receive is IRQL not equal or less.

It does not mention a driver such as "atixxx.sys". It does not give a code. It it was software, windows debugs driver errors and logs them. This means it is related to BIOS configuration and/or hardware placement.

The core problem exists with USB and this is a HARDWARE/BIOS issue. All hardware configurations are not the same in this scenario, so the solutions are not the same. The best solutions are as follows:

Note: After each step, reboot.

1. Disable USB Keyboard AND Mouse support in BIOS while keeping OnBoard USB enabled. (This worked for me after disabling MUP did not.)

2. Disable onboard (Built on the motherboard) USB.

3. Remove any add-on USB cards. (If booting fine, place the add on card in the LAST pci slot.

4. Here's how to disable MUP without using recovery console. (WARNING: Editing the Registry can Cause Serious Errors Preventing your System From Boot or Working Properly. Unless you know what you're doing...) Boot to safe mode (If not possible, skip to step 5), click start, run, type regedit. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CURRENTCONTROLSET/SERVICES/MUP

Under Binary name "start" it will read 0x00000000 (0) <--This means service_boot_start.

Change this value to 4. So it reads 0x00000004 (4) <--This means service_disabled

5. Here's how to disable MUP with recovery console. Boot from winxp startup cd or setup disks. Press R to enter recovery console. Type Admin Password. Once at the command prompt, type disable MUP. You'll see the message noting the change. type exit. The computer will reboot.

6. It is possible that file corruption has occured or the hard drive has corrupted sectors. Since I shall not cover Data Recovery, your best option is to use chkdsk /r for bad sectors and chkdsk /f to scan for and attempt to fix file system errors. This can be done in Recovery console.

7. If all else fails, Backup your data, and reload the O/S. Actually, try a repair first, that will enable you to keep your files if you can't back your files up.

It is unknown if any other add on cards can create this issue. Anything is possible. This is merely a guide to best resolve the issue. Thanks for reading!

-Nesmira

found here:

http://forums.devhardware.com/archive/t-7537

jaclaz