Why do some still say unlimited?

Unlimited diskspace, they know you're only going to use so much really (especially if they don't allow binary files or such). They intend to make you pay mostly for bandwidth. Lots of large files to download = lots of used up bandwidth = $$$.

or the other scenario:

Unlimited bandwidth, means either:

1) Your website will be so slow (makes you swear they serve 3000 websites on a 56k line) that you're hardly gonna use any.

or

2) You got a decent speed, but they hardly give you any space, and the space will lost a lot. So they make their money again.

That simple :)

They all tend to give you some basic free hosting (a lot of them anyways) to later lure you into buying more space, more bandwidth, extra features (php/mysql, control panels, etc) and such to end up making some money. Also, lots of "free" hosting is free, but after a setup fee and/or domain registration/transfer fees and such things.

Good, reliable hosting with lots of space, decent speed, high bandwidth, good features and everything usually isn't free. If it's free, there's almost always a catch: they're there to make money to pay server/connection/etc bills and make a living out of it too, so it can't all be free.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Man, if i heard unlimited i would use up there space so fast it would shut that company down in less then a week.

Be somewhat difficult when they have a upload limit of 1mb like Image Shack does. But for free I aint gonna complain, it stops the lag spikes I get when I'm playing halflife and someone opens a big picture in my forum :w00t:

Good, reliable hosting with lots of space, decent speed, high bandwidth, good features and everything usually isn't free. If it's free, there's almost always a catch: they're there to make money to pay server/connection/etc bills and make a living out of it too, so it can't all be free. 

I had a address to a awesome free host but lost it somehow :blushing: They gave a gig of space php,sql and a few others, no ads, you can put your own ads up a 50mb file size limit and 10gigs a month transfer for free. I kick myself when I look for a free host, which I gave up on since "there ain't no such thing as a free lunch" closest thing I've seen is 500mb space and 1gig a month but in order to even register you MUST have 20 posts in there forum :rolleyes: Others sound good but upon providing them with your info they ask for a CC or tell you the upload size limit is 6 bytes or max file size is something similar.... They all have there tricks to make it sound oh so joyous..... but the old saying applies here as well as most things in life..... Lunch aint free :(