is my xp disc legal

smartie91

Hi

I have a compaq laptop which came with a system restore disc,but when i use it it wipes out both my partitions as i partition it to C amd D drive

I have aquired a Windows xp cd rom but no coa number

if i install the xp cd on my laptop and use the number on the bottom of the laptop

it works fine ,using this method am i still legal, as i have more control over the install useing your unattended version

smartie91

hi

it is a orginal microsoft disc with logo and hologram

I work for a IT company and one of the projects we do is install pcs into banks and shops

so this cd could have come from one of those, someone had taken the COA sticker of the package thats why i havent got it

so is it still ok to use it on my laptop with my laptop COA number

smartie91

i guess so considering you have a got a legitimate cd and a key. though if you feel its not, send it to microsoft as theres a new program regarding if it isnt legit or whatever, they will send you a new free copy i think.

It is perfectly legal to purchases a xp cd without a cd key even if it is a bit hard to find, there are several reasons for purchasing MEDIA ONLY copys of XP, for example I own a computer shop and need the CDs to be able to work on computers without the need of purchasing the keys or to replace damaged CDs.

As long as the key you are using is the only used on that system and and has never been used on any other system (even if has been now deleted) and you haven't made any significant hardware changes then you are within the EULA.

/fugg