folder images?

naji

UltraISO is for creating CD-images! naji seems to be asking for something else!

@naji

Why not just a file-compression utility? And if you want to have a single-file self-placing mechanism, you can use something called SFX in archives.

In other words, using WinRAR to compress the folder to RAR, and adding an SFX module to it (for self-extraction on machines where winrar may not be installed) is what you seem to be looking at.

I never tried UltraISO, sounds like its for creating CD images...not exactly what i had in mind...but would like to try it, can u give me a link? is it freeware?

I never used winRAR to compress anything larger than just a few megabytes...im talking about compressing folders about 10 GBs big!!!

How long would winRAR take to handle such large folders? to compress and to decompress??

i was thinking of somthing like ghost...taking a snapshot of the data structure from the source drive, if thats possible...another program i know is drive snapshot which is also included in Bart PE...again like ghost, drive snapshot also backs up entire partitions or drives...although drive snapshot cannot copress the image as much as Ghost does...

thanks

I never tried UltraISO, sounds like its for creating CD images...not exactly what i had in mind...but would like to try it, can u give me a link? is it freeware?
Its commercial.

As for winrar - it is perfect for such purposes as well. I've RAR'ed up folders that were even 23 GB! (the single-file it created, and the fact that resulting archive was only 7 GB is a bonus :D ).

If you have Xp pro, off the bat there is an appicaltion within windows that can back specfic folders. Check it out under accessories.

If you have Home, pop in the cd and you can install it from there.

Im not positive about the compression, but i think this would be a helpful utility for you.

|Drew|