Universal Windows Images

SovereignScorn

I dont know how, but a friend of mine made a Windows XP Ghost image that could ghost onto any system. Problem is that he didnt sysprep it and I didnt like most of the programs on the image. I would ask him how, but I've had a hard time getting to him. Anyway, does anyone know how to make a universal XP or 2K image?

Well....

Look around the forums, and you'll find info about it. Its too long a topic to type out! Below is a pointer to what you should look for.

In short, Win2k/XP use hardware abstraction layers to operate in protected mode. Now, your objective should be to get it to use a common HAL that's compatible with all MoBo's. So prolly install it on an old PC that uses extremely common and base-line hardware, then image it.

Or, just before you ghost it, remove your mobo/proc drivers. There's sites that tell you how to do that.

Ya, I saw on another board someone had posted with a question and suggestion, but said that it only worked on 2K. He said that when you try to do this in XP it automaticly re-loads everything.

1. Load everything on your master image system, including all applications and what not. Setup the NTFS permissions and such as well.

2. Replace the IDE controller drivers with the Standard Dual channel PCI IDE Controller, and reboot so this driver is in place, instead of the system specific drivers. **This step is important**

3. Finally open Device manager and under System Devices Uninstall Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System. Do Not Restart when asked. Uninstall the few remaining devices that you can uninstall without restarting.

4. Shutdown the system and make a ghost image of this.

Any other suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm working on this as well, and in my environment all my PCs are ACPI Uniprocessor or ACPI, so it is pretty easy.

install XP via unattended CD (DO NOT PROVIDE 3rd PARTY DRIVERS),

install apps via script/batch (runonceex, is fine)

apply reg tweaks and batch files to customize environment

copy in SYSPREP folders

copy in drivers

defrag the drive

reboot once or twice

defrag the drive

run sysprep

use boot floppy or PE cd to run ghost or driveimage

I haven't tried removing all the chipset drivers and the ide controllers.. I'll test that out a bit later.

most difficult issue is finding a compatible HAL for all your PCs... worst case, since the PC is created mostly unattended, spinning another PC image with a different HAL, isn't too burdensome. worst case you could always FORCE "Standard PC" but you'd lose some features...