[VB6] If program already running close it....

*EDIT* Using Tskill / Taskkill to end the program.

*EDIT #2* What files need to come bundled with a Visual Basic 6 program? This is my first distributed VB6 application.... I know some people need msvbvm60.dll.. but thats all. Also.. i used an OCX control for the player.. do i have to include that as well? its the "windows Media Player" OCX...

Edited by Bi0haZarD

Depends on the Program and version of VB you running.

I use this Visual Studio Installer 1.1 You run it to create the msi and it shows what files are needed. This is a growing curve to pick out whats installed already on a system. Just a little trial and pratice. Optionally you can run the Package and Deployment wizard and it creates the list also. I seen your other post about the mp3 player, it will be difficult to make it play during unattend especially at "user.cmd" since you can't run .msi installers. So you basically need a command line util. I use something different and it work's except in VMWare its a nightmare getting it right. I'd like to see your finished thing though.

hmm kk, what i was thinking was copying the msvbvm60.dll and the other nessesary files to the system32 folder. I just don't know what files are truely important... and weather i have to include the "Windows Media Player" OCX or not.

This is Visual Basic 6.0 btw..

If you copy then some may have to be regsvr'd but i'm sure you know that. If you run that program the Visual Studio will tell you what's necessary as far as files, you don't have to create a msi at that point just look and see. Under Properties when you select a file look at Register and it also tells you if it needs registering. vsifrNone = No registering needed, some files don't even need to be copied to Windows but instead placed in app.path

I've never messed with anything requiring "Windows Media Player" OCX

you have to download MicroMicrosoft Visual Basic 6 SP 6 RunTime and install it during windows installation.

this package contains :

W95Inf32.dll

W95Inf16.dll

Vbrun60.inf

Stdole2.tlb

Olepro32.dll

Oleaut32.dll

MsVbVm60.dll

Comcat.dll

asycfilt.dll

Advpack.dll

One important thing is for non english version of visual basic, you need an additional file for example french vb version softwares need vb6FR.dll, spanish need vb6ES.dll

and about the ocx, you don't need that ocx IF YOU INSTALL MEDIA PLAYER BEFORE YOU LAUNCH YOUR Programme. so if your programme use WMP 9 OCX then you have to make sure WMP9 is installed first.

I hope I could help

I actively develop Visual Basic 6 applications.

Best thing to get is Inno Setup and I use Inno Setup Tool to generate my scripts rapidly.

Nowdays, MSVBVM60.DLL is common on machines so I personally do not see any real reason to make it a required file in the setups.

When you use added items in VB, it adds an OCX. You will want to include that with your program distribution for the best results.

To find out all of the OCX files you're using in your project, do the following...

1. Under General, right click and choose "Components..."
  2. Check off "Selected Items Only".
  3. Highlight each of your OCX files and note the location, these are the files you will need to include.

Example picture attached. If you want you can PM me and I can help you out via a messenger if need be. I hope this helps! :)