Add icon to quick launch

Hi

I'd like to have a custom link in my quick launch bar.

I tried to add this link in "..\XPCD\$OEM$\$Docs\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch" but it doesn'work. The icon i would like to have in it is the one of "Resource Explorer" (...hope it's called like this in english).

Thanks to anyone would help.

NN

Hi

I'd like to have a custom link in my quick launch bar.

I tried to add this link in "..\XPCD\$OEM$\$Docs\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch" but it doesn'work. The icon i would like to have in it is the one of "Resource Explorer" (...hope it's called like this in english).

Thanks to anyone would help.

NN

resources explorer... what is the exe?

@NeuroNik Here's what I do:

Create a shortcut to Windows Explorer and put it in your $OEM$ directory somewhere. Then use a batch file to copy the shortcut to the Quick Launch during the unattended install.

Copy "%systemdrive%\configure\Windows Explorer.lnk" "%systemdrive%\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\"

You could probably also try copying it straight over to "%AppData%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\"

As tguy said, add your icons here:

..\XPCD\$OEM$\$Docs\Default User\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch

That does work.

If it is not showing up, then check whether your batch-files have a command that cleans out the shortcuts in quick-launch and desktop.

• 5 months later...

I'm having the same problem. There are plenty of valid shortcuts in the all users quick launch dir, but none of them show up. If I try to move a shortcut from my quick launch to the all users one (after xp is installed) they still don't show up...

I'm having the same problem. There are plenty of valid shortcuts in the all users quick launch dir, but none of them show up. If I try to move a shortcut from my quick launch to the all users one (after xp is installed) they still don't show up...

Of course they dont... because the Quick Launch folder isnt under the All Users profile... is under the user specific profile.. which is why in the numerous examples that are spread throughout this forum say to place your QL shortcuts in "$OEM$\$Docs\Default User\..." NOT "$OEM$\$Docs\All Users\..."

All files under the 'Default User' profile are copied to User specific profile

Here's the code to the vbScript I use to create my Explorer shortcut in my Quick Launch bar:

'Create Windows Explorer Quick Launch icon

Const OverwriteExisting = True

Set objFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")

If objFSO.FolderExists("C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\") Then

objFSO.CopyFile "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop\Explorer.lnk" , "C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\", OverwriteExisting

Else

Set objFolder = objFSO.CreateFolder("C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\")

objFSO.CopyFile "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop\Explorer.lnk" , "C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\", OverwriteExisting

End If

If objFSO.FolderExists("C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\") Then

objFSO.CopyFile "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop\Explorer.lnk" , "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\", OverwriteExisting

Else

Set objFolder = objFSO.CreateFolder("C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\")

objFSO.CopyFile "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop\Explorer.lnk" , "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\", OverwriteExisting

End If

Here's how I do it:

First I download SFX Maker (can be found all over the net)

Then I create the shortcuts I want on the desktop.

Then I add them to a .zip file

Next step is that I create an .exe out of the .zip file with SFXMaker

I then configure the .exe this way that no user intervention is needed.

I let the file extract the shortcuts to the path I want, in this case:

"C:\Documents and Settings\%USERNAME%\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\

And then merge this into your Automated Installation!

I would use an inf to do this!

Here is an example for Maxthon, it uses %16410% for %UserProfile%\Application Data, although there is no reason why you cannot put it in %16419% for %AllUsersProfile%\Application Data. I do not however think that the AllUsers will work, since I have one in there from Ad-aware that doesn't show up in mine. If you install the inf at cmdlines, (T12), using the code given, it should work for everyone though!

[Version]
Signature  = $Windows NT$

[DefaultInstall]
UpdateInis = QLink

[QLink]
setup.ini, progman.groups,, "group0=""%16410%\%QLauncher%\"""
setup.ini, group0,,"""Maxthon"",""""""%16422%\Maxthon\Maxthon.exe"""""",,,,""%16422%\Maxthon"""

[Strings]
QLauncher  = "Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch"

Edited by Yzöwl