Objectdock just got it

eric0668

1. are there going to be any compatibility issues or problems from running or having objectdock, desktopx, and stylexp on my computer.

2. I added too many weather docks on my objectdock. How do I remove one. I do see the option to remove other items by right clicking on them, but not the weather moon (or sun)

3. Is there a help area for objectdock

4. How can I stop it from running. I did not see some icon in the system tray or anywhere to keep it from running. I had to open the taskmanager.

5. When I did click ctr alt del to open the task mgr, I got the Old Windows box in the middle with all the options Lock comp, log off, shut down, etc. but I have XP,SP2. this all of a sudden came up. Is this from either objectdock or stylexp. My bet is probable in stylexp either the logon option or the boot.ini option

lastly

6. speaking of the boot.ini option which i backed up to use the stylexp boot screens, when I restarted it gave me the option of using the bootscreen or using windows xp. LOL LOL Who would've even chose that if it involves having to make a selection to see this bootscreen. Is there a way around having to make this choice.

Thanks for your time and patience (I am a new visitor--but I am never short on questions--I will always try to properly post and never double thread)

First off, Welcome to MSFN.org :thumbup

1. I had once ran all 3 of those on my computer, it ran ok but since i'm a gamer i removed them. so it should run on your computer unless you got a computer thats from like 10 years ago.. lol.

2. can't remeber off hand, but can't you just click and drag it off to your desktop and it disappears?

3. This link will provide you with help. Support

4. if you mean quit it i believe its just right click in a free area and hit quit. if you don't want it to load with windows i think its right click Settings and on the apperance tab theres a check for "load at windows startup" just uncheck that.

5. not sure about that.

6. post your boot.ini file here and i will take out the entry you dont need. or.. set the themed one as default and set the countdown to about 2 seconds to allow you to switch back to the normal Windows XP startup logo incase something gets screwed up.

I wouldn't use StyleXP though. I'd use a hacked UXtheme.dll file. thats all StyleXp does...well.. if you don't care about bootlogos. but you can always manually load those in if you knwo what your doing.

for a universal UXtheme.dll file patcher click this link UXTheme Multi-Patcher v2.5.1

Here is my boot ini file that you said you'd look at and tell me what to do to take out the fact that I have to choose to select that screen; I mean what is the point of having to select it.

here it is:

[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

But I may not keep this program. Are you telling me STYLE XP IS NOT SAFE? why again?

Someone else said that in Joe User.com and recommended WindowsBlinds or something like that. is that better?

Lastly, I got what I thought was going to be 2 wallpapers from that troublesome site ThemeXp. I unzipped them and I got 2 icons for each one. A registry icon which asked me if I wanted to put the info in the registry. Why I selected yes, I do not know. The other one is something called Windows LogonUI andd Urantia Logon UI. One of them said microsoft. Kevin, of KevinsResourceCenter said that that Microsoft means nothing. anyone could and would say that. Do you know what those files are.They are not Wallpapers. I click them and nothing happens. How do i get those registry entries out that I clicked and selected yes?

Thanks

Eric

Your boot.ini file seems normal to me (correct me if I'm wrong here).

As for StyleXP, I would also recommend dumping it and either going with a hacked UXtheme.dll file or with WindowBlinds. I personally use WindowBlinds since there are some other nice features to the program other than just skinning. Have a look at the section under "Windows Desktop Screenshots" to see some of the work that can be done with WB.

Lastly, never go to ThemeXP again. They used to be a good site for finding visual styles, but then they started bundling their skins/wallpapers/everything with adware and crap to pay for the site. WindowBlinds has many free, and spyware free, skins available.

Hope this helps.

Here is my boot ini file that you said you'd look at and tell me what to do to take out the fact that I have to choose to select that screen; I mean what is the point of having to select it.

here it is:

[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

But I may not keep this program. Are you telling me  STYLE XP IS NOT SAFE?  why again?

Someone else said that in Joe User.com and recommended WindowsBlinds or something like that.  is that better?

Lastly, I got what I thought was going to be 2 wallpapers from that troublesome site ThemeXp.  I unzipped them and I got 2 icons for each one. A registry icon which asked me if I wanted to put the info in the registry. Why I selected yes, I do not know.  The other one is something called Windows LogonUI andd Urantia Logon UI.  One of them said microsoft. Kevin, of KevinsResourceCenter said that that Microsoft means nothing. anyone could and would say that.  Do you know what those files are.They are not Wallpapers. I click them and nothing happens.  How do i get those registry entries out that I clicked and selected yes?

Thanks

Eric

hmm your boot.ini file looks diffrent then how mine was when i used stylexp. i had another option below "Windows XP home Edition" that said to use the theme... possibly a diffrent version so thats why..

Style XP is safe. and is more then enough for the normal everyday user. The reason for the countdown to select the themes is if you apply a boot screen that is invalid or corrupted so you can boot your computer using the default bootscreen.

The reason why Zxian and I suggested using a hacked UXtheme.dll is, because they are usually easier to deal with. *this will only work if you patch your UXTheme.dll*

you download the theme, you unzip them in C:\Windows\Resources\Themes, and when you right click the desktop and hit properties, then hit the apperance tab in the box that says "Windows XP Style" and "Windows Classic Style" the theme that you download is in there. and if it has diffrent color schemes it will be in the box below it.

so no other programs are required to run to change or use the Style

ThemeXp was a good website, and still is if the background is in a zip and as a .jpg extenstion. but all the spyware they install has driven me away. Those files you downloaded sounds like boot Screens, they are a pain in teh rear to install. I hate boot screens cause they're only there when you turn the computer on... so you see it for about 20 seconds... i wouldn't screw up my computer so i could use a boot screen i would only see for 20 seconds..

on the registry file you clicked yes on.. right click on it and hit edit. then paste what that says in here.

Some Links to good sites for backgrounds and such...

http://www.customize.org

http://www.wincustomize.com

*all i can think of at the moment.. theres probably more in the "Customizing Windows" forum on this site.*

I hate boot screens cause they're only there when you turn the computer on... so you see it for about 20 seconds... i wouldn't screw up my computer so i could use a boot screen i would only see for 20 seconds..

If you're worried about screwing up the ntoskrnl.exe file, have a look at StarDock's BootSkin. It's totally freeware, and if a skin doesn't apply right, then you'll still get through to Windows as normal (you just won't see the progress).

There are also some funny bootskins that you can apply with it... like one big BSOD... a great prank to play on a friend or co-worker...

I also think that you'd like this one...

CATS.jpg

:thumbup:thumbup:thumbup

Thank you so much for your help. But you're both very far ahead of me. I am a novice.

I have no idea what a hacked UXtheme.dll file is. I am assuming it is a file that you download that can be applied by right clicking on the desktop and hitting properties and applying it like you would a normal Windows XP theme or wallpaper, and not one that needs some other userinterface to apply it, like StyleXP. Is that basically it?

Next, I think the boot file looks ok, because I forgot but I found out how to reset it within Style XP without having to deal with that backup file, and I did. So when I sent it, it is a normal boot.ini file...or should be. It is, right?

What is the ntoskrnl.exe file? That is the first I've heard it mentioned. I never did. and i don't think you did til this point?

So are you telling me that if I would have posted an altered boot.ini file here, you would've been able to fix it so I don't have to make that choice. Or was the last comment about the fact that I would still have 30 seconds to pick that boot screen and that can't be changed.

The object that I put on my desktop from desktop x the media player. I see some settings switch when I right click. But very confusing, but what media player is it? wMP? Do i have to keep inserting the song files each time--it appears so. Are there no more controls for it or playlists I can look at?

Sorry, I did not see "Windows Desktop Screenshot" in WindowBlinds???

Is that not in the freeware version, or do I have to go to the web to see that option? I was first disappointed when I got it because the appearances it came with were lame and boring, but I did see the option to go to the web and dowload more into the interface. But I have one I like, Torn, but the noise is so loud. Can I turn it off. I didn't see how. Better yet, there is no way to turn down the system sounds like that , but leave up the remaining sounds for music is there? (2 types of sound tracks or whatever the technical term is? Do you know the term?)

thanks for your knowledge and patience

Eric

I have no idea what a hacked UXtheme.dll file is.  I am assuming it is a file that you download that can be applied by right clicking on the desktop and hitting properties and applying it like you would a normal Windows XP theme or wallpaper, and not one that needs some other userinterface to apply it, like StyleXP.  Is that basically it?

What is the ntoskrnl.exe file?  That is the first I've heard it mentioned. I never did. and i don't think you did til this point? 

So are you telling me that if I would have posted an altered boot.ini file here, you would've been able to fix it so I don't have to make that choice. Or was the last comment about the fact that I would still have 30 seconds to pick that boot screen and that can't be changed.

The object that I put on my desktop from desktop x the media player.  I see some settings switch when I right click. But very confusing,  but what media player is it?  wMP?  Do i have to keep inserting the song files each time--it appears so. Are there no more controls for it or playlists I can look at?

That is exactly what a hacked UXTheme.dll file is. Click here for the UXTheme.dll pack for SP1, and here for SP2.

The ntoskrnl.exe file is the file that essentially loads the NT Kernel, or the underlying program that is, in fact, Windows. Obviously, if this doesn't load properly, then Windows doesn't load properly. With some boot screens, people have completely replaced the ntoskrnl.exe file with a cracked one that contains different images (hence the different boot screen). Where the problem lies is in the fact that the ntoskrnl.exe file is different with each service pack that is released. In other words, if you have a boot screen that is supposed to work for Service Pack 1, and you have Service Pack 2, then Windows won't load.

Sorry, I guess that I should have been more specific by what I meant by "Windows Desktop Screenshots". It's acutally another part of this forum that you can find here.. Have a look at the many different desktops that are available.

As for the sounds within WB, yes you can turn them off. To do this, go to Basic Settings (in WindowBlinds) and uncheck the box that says "Use skin sounds (if any)". Then click on "Apply settings". You should be good to go.

As I said before, I would recommend re-applying the default boot screen and using BootSkin from StarDock from now on.

As for the media player docklet in DesktopX, I can't really help you there, since I've never used DesktopX. I would personally recommend using WinAmp as a media player. It's a very good, simple, and solid media player that supports more file formats than you or your grandmother can handle. There's tons of skins for WinAmp as well, so you can make it fit with the rest of your desktop.

Here's a screenshot of my desktop with Winamp sitting at the very top of the screen. As you can see, I found a skin that fits really well with the WB theme that I'm using.

Screenshot

(Yes, I have a widescreen display. That's why it looks wider than a standard dekstop)

Don't hesitate to ask more questions. Information is free around here, with no strings attached (other than that you're courteous and respectful, which you have been so far :thumbup )

a better thing you should download insted of what Zxian posted is this one.

http://download.neo-win.net/nw_uxtheme.zip *gotta remove the [-] cause otherwise it gets turned to <<spam>> since neo-win is in the MSFN filter...*

all you gotta do is run the exe then hit patch. easy as that. then start getting some themes and put them in C:\Windows\Resources\Themes.

so when your done copying it.. it should look like this..

C:\Windows\resources\themes\*name of theme*\*name of theme*.msstyle

and should also have another folder inside the *name of theme* folder called Shell.

the themes from StyleXP should work with the hacked uxtheme.dll since its basically the same thing. you can get some themes from here:

http://www.customize.org/list/stylexp

after you unzip them to the correct directory it shoudl show up when you right click the desktop, hit properties, hit the apperance tab, and where it says "windows xp style" change it to the theme you selected.

Ok guys (gals?)

I am learning, slowly but surely. the uxtheme.dll file comes with xp, but you download others is that correct. You don't replace one with another, but each theme is one, right? (sorry to be so stupid)

I did the patch for the sp2 for the the uxtheme.dll pack then I saw what was recommended second. Why was the second recommendation made. How do I undo the patch that I did to do the second if I choose. Or do I need to?

Next. with this patch done. are you saying that this smallville theme I downloaded that I consistently need to go into c/downloaded themes by eric (a folder that I created) all I need to do is place that icon in windows/resources/themes and it will show up when I right click and hit display properties, just like the rest.

Now I already got rid of StyleXP per Xian's advice. But were you 2 disagreeing as to the danger of it. If you agree that it is not dangerous, are you saying I should download it again, or simply go to that site you provided and use the themes via the hached uxtheme.dll way.

Got the sound thing to work on the WB skins. Thanks

Now you recommended Winamp? Why again. Kevin, I think I mentioned him.

From Kevins Resource Center recommeded JetAudio. Isn't Jet better? Why Why not? I would be looking for the best sound above all else. It is hard to see ur screenshot, but it looks like you have one of those sleek skins. Is that just a screenshot when it's open. Or do you leave it open all the time up there and the window just does not go over it? (That may be a totally stupid question) If so, how do u do it?

Eric ttyl

sorry

I meant to say, when I downloaded that uxtheme.dll hack. I just downloaded it selected run and it didn't do anything. it was all done in a matter of a second is that correct?

How do u undo this if I want to for NO reason, or if I want to take the other option? Or is there no way?

The UXTheme.dll file is simply a file that allows you to use non-MS created themes. The patcher is very quick in doing its work and the split second that it took is normal.

Try to think of it in a similar analogue. Let's say that you have some .pdf files (Acrobat files) that you want to read. Windows won't let you read those files on it's own, but you can download and use the Acrobat Reader to read the files.

The UXTheme.dll patcher is like the Acrobat Reader. It lets you use the themes that you have downloaded (these are like the Acrobat files).

You can go ahead and use StyleXP if you wish and it doesn't cause any problems for you. I simply never liked the interface and preferred to change the settings with the Windows options instead.

As for applying the skins that you have downloaded, all you have to do is copy the themes that you have into a folder that you want them to be named in the specified .../themes directory.

For example, if I had downloaded a theme called MooCow, I would need to make a directory like this

C:\WINDOWS\Resources\Themes\MooCow\

and then put all the files that were included in the download into that directory. Then you can open up ThemeXP or the Display properties and then you'll be able to select MooCow from the menu.

As for Winamp, I find it to be the best player out there... period. I've tried so many others, and none provide the simplicity of Winamp while still delivering really awesome sound quality. As for the screenshot that I posted, Winamp stays on top, no matter what I do (unless I specifically minimize it). That there is just the slim mode of the MMD3 skin (available at the Winamp website)

I've tried JetAudio, and it just doesn't seem to have as many nicities as Winamp.

The best way for you to figure out which one you like better is to download both and use each one for a full day or so. After that, you'll be able to figure out which one works for you. Each of us has our personal tastes. Just because I like winamp doesn't mean that you will.

Thank you, you are very well spoken btw.

So let's see. I understand the uxtheme.dll hack vs. the adobe. Nice comparison. So what you are saying is that there probably not be a need to uninstall it anyway. But, (I am always full of hypotheticals) If I wanted to remove the patch and do the one the other person recommended (what was that btw, and how does it differ) how could I remove the patch I put on. Let me guess--you can't!! I'd have to do a Repair-Install of XP probably right

What is the difference in creating a directory and a folder. Nothing, right? So I went into my folder I created, "downloaded themes" (I am still going to keep this) and copied the whole Smallville Theme folder and put it in /Windows/Resources/Themes clicked on display properties. And NOTHING. i restarted. Nothing. I copied the Smallville Theme Icon and put it outside the folder directly in the Theme folder. I clicked on display properties and saw it. :)

But I tried to select it and saw that somethings were missing. I am certainly not supposed to put all the cursors, etc, (10's of icons in that folder) am I. I mean my !plus themes don't have all their icons there. They are all in their !Plus folder.

So what am I doing wrong.

Thanks

E

Ok, now don't fall over...but I got it.

I installed my Smallville theme, greatwhite theme, et al

But it did not work the way you said. I am not sure if my computer is messed up (I doubt it because I just did a repair install when I removed StyleXP because it left some stuff on there and I deleted too much by mistake LOL), or if I misunderstood what you said.

When I put these theme folders in windows/resources/themes, it told me stuff was missing. But I saw the Windows !Plus themes right outside the theme folder in

Windows/resources folder (directory? see question above) so I put my themes there and it worked. How come?

I placed my one Manhunt screensaver there and some wallpapers I downloaded from ThemeXP and they did not show up when I clicked display properties. are they things that I need to click on and apply manually? Is that normal

Now for some tricky questions that will help keep my computer clean. Even tho I did that repair install I said. it seems that some stuff was left on there STILL by Style XP. Could you telll me which of the following is Style XP (I can delete) and which is not (I should leave alone)

Windows/resources/boot/art.bootskin

/code 7.bootskin

/mondrianXP.bootskin

/PirateIII.bootskin

Explorer Bar/ElectricBlue.iebar.zip

/icandy

Icons/ie-icandy.icon.zip

If you know great. I am sure you do

If not, no problem

Eric