recovery console in unattended setup

bmn

hi all

i just noticed that in unattended cd's recovery console is not working.its very useful when ur boot file is corrupted.u can recover it with recover console.not only this but stuff like fixboot,fixmbr,format,scandisk.....all these things r very imp i think.not only this but when u strat reinstalling(instaling xp over another os with out format) it detect(setup) the old operating system and report us to repair.this option is also not working.

so guys is there any way out..

Your post was a little unclear to me, but:

:If you were asking about using the Recovery Console or Repair Windows options from a cd that has been modified to perform an unattended setup

This won't work, since setup is preoccupied with whatever is in that winnt.sif.

:If you had performed an update of your windows installation (xpsp2, etc) and your repair functionality from CD no longer works, that's more interesting.

Please clarify. Thanks.

You could try creating a batch file that is called by [GuiRunOnce] or Runonceex.cmd that runs the following command:

d:\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons (where d:\ is the drive letter of your cd-rom)

Reboot your computer. You should be good to go.

@bmn

In case your posting is supposed to tell us that you've got problems installing the recovery console unattendedly, try this:

%cdrom%\I386\winnt32.exe /dudisable /cmdcons /unattend

... whereas %cdrom% is the letter of your CDROM-drive, e.g. "D:".

It won't work if you just copy the recovery console's folder from your HDD onto the CD. You have to install it using the command shown above.

But this has all already been covered here on the board ;)