IE6 WinXP Bugs. Please help me!

RedBrain

Ever since I got WinXP and IE6, I am unable to do cretain functions that are imparative to my business.

I am unable to:

1) View the source of webpages. (nothing shows up at all)

2) Hit the "Edit with Program" button. (button is greyed

out)

3) When I try to save images from any website, my only

option is to save them as .bmp files.

4) When I use some developers tools (Such as Image List)

I just get a blank page.

I have tried to re-download IE5 and it wont let me. It

says I have a newer versions and aborts the install.

Since WinXP uses IE6 for some functionality, I am unable to uninstall it totally.

I have downloaded all the patches and fixes and nothing is working!

I do webdesign, marketing and advertising and I need to be able to do these things I can't do anymore.

Can ANYONE please help?

Im not sure about all of them, but not being ale to edit a page is probly due to the fact that you dont have prpper editing software on your computer, or u have not associated it to edit web pages online, to do this, got Internet Options and pick the particular softare to edit pages with..

=Drew

No, that's not it. Everything worked fine for like the fist month I had it. Then after one windows update, I was unable to do the things I mentioned.

Another thing I noticed is that when I click on a zip file, it automatically starts to download them (open at current location) . I don't have the option any more. To save them, I must "Save target as", which is fine unless there is some sort of button that I can not right click on.

That's a bit extreme for a corporate business GeForce-5.

RedBrain - Try this first:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;en-us;Q318378

Yeah, I really cant afford to back up 3 years worth of work to reformate everything. (Nor do I have the time.)

That didn't work either. :)

Anyone else have any ideas. I have only heard this happening to a few other people and they did not know how to fix it either.

Problems (1, 2, and 3) are the result of the source script witin the web pages you are visiting. Web Masters have options to write script that turns off a short list of functions within IE6. Also, IE 5 for that fact, but not as easy as IE6. Unfortunately, if the script was poorly written or improperly placed in page, the effects will result (carry into) in other other pages you visit. You as a user have no choice in this matter other than to email the web master and voice your concerns. One easy fix is to close all the web pages you presently have open and re-open them once again, one-by-one, until you locate the page(s) with the disabled options. Once you have found the source or sources simply do not revisit those pages for information that you have come to rely on for your purposes. Seek alternative sources for information. Where this is not an option you may consider a differen't web browser or actually install multiple web browsers. The Opera web browser to include Netscape are other browsers that you may want to examine.

RedBrain,in answer to your first problem

1.)View the source of webpages. (nothing shows up at all)

Have you checked your temp internet files cache.

If it is full up, "view > source" will not open. (i've had the same problem)

You need to clear your cache,or increase the allocated disk space via internet options > general tab > settings.It should then work again.

RedBrain,in answer to your first problem

1.)View the source of webpages. (nothing shows up at all)

Have you checked your temp internet files cache.

If it is full up, "view > source" will not open. (i've had the same problem)

You need to clear your cache,or increase the allocated disk space via internet options > general tab > settings.It should then work again.

SUCCESS!!!!!

I can't believe thats all it was... I have been searching for this answer for months now

That fixed all 3 problems.

I am for ever greatfull!

If you ever need anything (anything I might be able to provide) don't hesitate to ask!

RedBrain

redbrain@redbrain.com

Quote:

If you ever need anything (anything I might be able to provide) don't hesitate to ask!

RedBrain

redbrain@redbrain.com

The Reverend rides motrocycles and he his getting kind of old, so maybe some training wheels for Christmas? :)

• 2 years later...