Defrag Issues

dneumannjr

Hello Everyone,

Need some assistance today. I just started for a new company a few weeks ago and the gentleman that is there that is currently taking care of all of the technology is well less than effective if you ask me. Anywho enough of that.

I am working on cleaning up the servers that multiple issues and one of the servers is heavily defragmented. I have run defrag and it has helped but the analyzer still says that it needs to be run again. I have cleaned up all tmp and log files so I haven't been deleting anything after the Defrag.

I am sure that the defrag has never been run or if anything once at the most. Should I be looking for third party utilities to defrag the drives or is there anything else that I can do to resolve this issue. I am tired been working 60 hour weeks and I am not thinking straight at this point please provide any feed back that you may have.

Thanks

need more info...

check the disk space...

what is the server used for? file sharing... applications. RDP ?

what are the specs. on the box?

hardware RAID etc.......

Check the event viewer for errors.... You made a comment about the sever having multiple issues....

hope this helps a litte...

need more info...

check the disk space...

what is the server used for?  file sharing...  applications.  RDP ?

what are the specs. on the box?

hardware RAID etc....... 

Check the event viewer for errors.... You made a comment about the sever having multiple issues.... 

hope this helps a litte...

I shouldn't even call it a server. It's a pieced together dual processor board running a software Raid 5. 4 18GB Drives. It is running a couple of SQL Databases. It is the exchange server as well as a couple of other misc applications that are running on it.

Issues all over the board was just trying to start with the minor maintenance stuff and then move into the memory dumps and multiple other issues that I got myself into by taking this position.

Thanks

oH! sounds like fun.

Well,

I wouldn't worrie with defrag "just my opionion". I would start with the exchange server and make sure that it is all up to date w/ patches and such.

Another thing is when you are getting mem. errors and blue screens. I wouldn't count out hardware issues.

good luck ... and let us know how it goes.

Oh... depending on the $$$ flow .. if you can I would seperate the sql stuff from the exchange.

If there are large SQL databases, check there size. You may need to split the database down. Also try running a backup and restore of the batabase, we have to do this on our database once a week :( ... But it does speed it up :) ...

Our database resides on a seperate drive than all the other data. This drive is always defragged - according to Diskeeper and MS Defrag this drive is always badly defragged, but thats just the way SQL works.

Hope this has been some help.... :thumbup

oH!  sounds like fun.

Oh...  depending on the $$$ flow .. if you can I would seperate the sql stuff from the exchange.

Yeah. Lots to clean up but I am okay with that I enjoy this kind of work. We do have money to replace all of the servers..... (i use that term losely with the current machines) and this should be in by the end of the year. But I am just trying to get them through the next month or so. This has proven to be a challenge.

Thanks for the info I will let you know what I find.

Our database resides on a seperate drive than all the other data. This drive is always defragged - according to Diskeeper and MS Defrag this drive is always badly defragged, but thats just the way SQL works.

Hope this has been some help....  :thumbup

Actually yes. From what I have been reading with larger SQL Databases the drive does appear to be fragmented. With the new server I will partition the array so that the databases reside on their own drive.

I haven't done a whole lot with SQL I feel like such a noob :hello: