Files to avoid product key and activation request

jpatto

I managed to get hold of a XP Cd with SP2 (Legal way - see my previous posts) so now i need to know:

1. How and which files do i copy over from my old XP CD so that the system does not ask for the product key and i wont need to activate it (If i use my previous CD from Dell it automatically activates it and i get no problems with that)

2. I think the SP2 CD does not have WMP 10 how could i integrate WMP 10 with my current installation so i wont need to update it via Windows Update?

thanks

Thanks for the help. The link regarding question 1 tells me how to restore the wpa files ONCE the system has been installed.

If i was to install XP on my system using my Dell disk, it will not ask me to activate, im assuming this is due to dell building in the activation on the installation disk so if everything matches it wont ask to activate the copy.

I want to copy that file (the file with the activation code i guess) onto a newly created disk with SP2 which is from my friend to avoid having to activate it as if it was my original disk.

Hope that makes sense

Thanks

Actually the hardware is the same (It's still my original machine im using to install it back on). The product key is going to be the same (i think its stored in a file ending in .sif). The only change is the disk im using to install the system from which is why i want to know where to copy the activation files to.

Your Dell CD is probably a special OEM build that is tied to the BIOS. They do this so that you don't need to perform an activation, but you also can't transfer the license to another machine should your Dell die.

If you don't mind activation happening, but just don't want to be bothered with it, stick AutoActivate=Yes in your winnt.sif file.