DVD Won't Boot - Error Code: 5

I've tried this a number of times; and on a previous post someone mentioned it was a corrupt boot image file. If I'm not mistaken the file should be xpboot.bin (or *.img) and a size of 2 KB.

Anyone who why this would be a problem for me? This is practically the last thing holding up my unattended install; and disappointing that after so many tries I still can't get it right (or follow directions).

Any help would be appreciated. :unsure:

Do you have a Zip drive attached to your system? I encountered the problem on a testbed machine I formerly used, detaching the Zip drive was the solution. Otherwise, yeah, the boot image file is the likely culprit, I would suspect.

I'm using nLite to create bootable discs these days, works great, no more boot failures!

I ran into the same problem (thankfully i used a CDRW)- I am useing XPCreate Utility and i had a bad Boot Image file. Fixed it bu using a correct boot CD.

or

Your could build it slowly by using ISO buster to extract a good Boot image, then make your DVD.

Hope this helps.

I looked at that *.img file and find it identical to the one I have so there's no reason for me to use it. Unless I'm missing something. Perhaps I should actually use Nero or whatever else ya'll use to build your bootable DVDs / CDs.

I currently use DropToCD (DataCD; a light, awesome program!) to burn my CDs and DVDs; and totally forgot it supports bootable images. I've tried a number of different ones but none work. *sigh* Should I give up ? :no:

EDIT: and to answer your question blinktd; I don't have a zip drive attached. :|

Edited by Dark Sim 905