Problem installing winxp pro: cd-key not valid

Hi, all.

sorry for my bad english, i'll try to write clearly.

Using an original winxp pro cd, i create a cd patched with service pack 2. The installation go on with no problem. I have to use this cd to install xp pro in many machines each of them with their own license (and with there own cd-key in the label). My problem was at the request of the cd-key: the setup program say that it was invalid! I tried many cd-key: that of the original cd, the many written in the label of the pc. Nothing.

Where did i fault? Maybe the cd i used was in some way banned (stolen cd-key from someone?).

All the cd-key was from winxp pro, no winxp home. Some of them used to install in the past.

Thank you all!

Devrom

yes, thats probly the reason, SP2 blacklisted more keys then sp1, so its probly possible your key is banned, if u got it illegally , if its legal , make sure u double check your winnt.sif file make sure u wrote it down correctly, then call microsoft :)

In the original cd, in the unattend.txt there is the cd-key.

This mean that if I use that cd to make a cd with sp2, even if I digit another (not banned) cd-key taken from the label on the pc, that installation will fail no matter what (not banne) cd-key I'll insert??

Omg... so I have to re-create the Installation CD with SP2... and that means someone stolen/cracked/used that cd-key... :realmad:

In the original cd, in the unattend.txt there is the cd-key.

This mean that if I use that cd to make a cd with sp2, even if I digit another (not banned) cd-key taken from the label on the pc, that installation will fail no matter what (not banne) cd-key I'll insert??

Omg... so I have to re-create the Installation CD with SP2... and that means someone stolen/cracked/used that cd-key...  :realmad:

Is there a way to make the installation cd with sp2 that will check only the cd-key I will insert when the setup ask me? Hopefully only the cd i used to make the install was stolen... :}

i your using a winnt.sif file u cant alter it, cutting out the line that has your key in it, windows will then resort to doing the "normal" operation for that setting, thus asking u 2 insert your key

u will have 2 reburn the cd & reinstall, or make an ISO & test in vmware :)

The other issue that you want to keep in mind is that Microsoft created separate "types" of keys for each shipped version of XP- for instance, an XP Pro Retail CD (full version) will not work with a key for XP Pro OEM, such as those attached to pc's, likewise a retail version of XP Pro Upgrade would not work with the other two. We had quite a few issues at work with creating a single Ghost image for all of our systems when we have various licenses on the client pc's.