Networking a printer from winXP to win98

jada855

Hey all. Here is the situation I have a home network setup to xp machines one windows 98 laptop. files and folders can be shared through all machines I can see each machine on the network.

Got a new printer hp psc 1310 series can share between the two xp machines but when trying to add a network printer to the windows 98 machine I get the drivers box the hp psc 1310 series driver is no where listed. I went to hp's site and they had alternative drivers but not for my printer. I know about the properties box of the shared printer inside of windows xp where you can add additional drivers for a windows 98 based machine problem is I dont have a windows 98 disc. Anyone have any solutions or work arounds please point me in that direction.

Any help greatly appreciated :)

to anyone who come across this problem with newer printer models. here is the solution.

Physically connect the printer to the windows 98 machine second install the software for the printer and print a test page next connect the printer physically back to the windows xp machine.

Back on the 98 machine right click the name of the printer you just set up and get to the properties tab of the printer.

In the ports or (details) section point the printer point to the share of the windows xp machine. and Viola it should work

thanx to all who viewed and tried to help solve :)