XPCREATE Error

jamesmk

I keep getting the above error. What am I doing wrong? Or is there a file I can point the script to?

Here is the entire output of the (non minimised) script:

--  0:34:34 --> Looking for CD Source.

--  0:34:35 --> Create local CD Source

--  0:37:57 --> Trying to extract the Boot Image.

--  0:37:57 --> Finished extracting Boot Image.

--  0:37:57 --> Setting up Run-Time Variables.

--  0:37:57 --> Listing Hotfixes and Updates.

--  0:37:57 --> Removing Previous Creation Directories.

--  0:37:57 --> Removing TEMP Files.

--  0:37:57 --> Creating TEMP directories.

--  0:37:58 --> Determine Source Version.

Error: "Cannot find Windows Version Tag File."

Press Enter to Exit.

TIA

XPCREATE.LOG

The answer to this mystery lies in the log files. The mystery is now, where were the log files posted. And no, I do not promise it will work with any copy ... au contraire.

I noticed that the log file was missing a few hours after I posted it, and assumed you took it down.

I'll re-post it now, here in this message, and again in the original post.

And true, I misspoke, it wasn't you.:blushing: It was a post that seems to now be missing from this thread.:unsure:

TIA.

XPCREATE.LOG

Well, functionally the eval and retail copies are the same.....

Did you try checking whether you did something different when using the eval, that you did not with the retail copy.

No. Didn't do anything different. In the end I didn't actualy do anything. Just ran it with all the defaults.

Need to figure out how to add the SATA drivers, must have missed something because I added the files to the directoriy indicated, but that's neither here nor there. Used the F6 w/o trouble.

I've never seen a eval version of XP but if its anything like the Server 2003, it *must* have some differences in it to cause the "end of evaluation process".

Wouldn't xpcreate in slipstreaming the hotfixes/service pack be replacing some of the very files in question and make it get very confused and not work?

Only a little idea of thought of.

Regards (my two cents)

N.

Wouldn't xpcreate in slipstreaming the hotfixes/service pack be replacing some of the very files in question and make it get very confused and not work?
Nope.

We know what the files in question are, and what the difference between eval and retail/OEM copies are. No, the "evaluation conclusion" process used would not have anything to do with this particular case of what we're trying to solve.

Which is why, probably doing it again will help. We do know that we do things a few times before we got it right. So..... do XPCREATE a few times, obtain a reproducible error, and it can be identified and fixed.

Most likely (for example), the person might have done this:

did process A, then B, then C, then P, then Q, then R - with retail (and it worked)

did process A, then B, then Q, then P, then R, forgot to do process C - with eval (and it didn't work).

@jamesmk

And yes, we ARE determined to fix the issue you reported, and help you. Which is why so many are trying to chip in with their bit. So don't give up. :yes:

Which is why, probably doing it again will help. We do know that we do things a few times before we got it right. So..... do XPCREATE a few times, obtain a reproducible error, and it can be identified and fixed.

Most likely (for example), the person might have done this:

did process A, then B, then C, then P, then Q, then R - with retail (and it worked)

did process A, then B, then Q, then P, then R, forgot to do process C - with eval (and it didn't work).

Think you should work as a game bug-tester hehe ;)

Actually ... I don't know (nor care to know) the different files in Evaluation or RTM versions. In fact, if the problem shows up in an evaluation version, I would be very tempted to suggest trying the real deal, before I invest my time in "solving" the problem. I also would not garantee that using a Evaluation CD would work. This case, however, is a Release Candidate , which is definitly unsupported (as jamesmk correctly sumised).