XPCreate BUG?

Refthoom

There is -I think- a small bug in XPCreate regarding one of the very first actions it takes. I didn't find this on the forum with the search function, but maybe I used the wrong search params. So if this is a known bug, sorry for the inconveniance.

I followed the instructions on GM's site; dl'd and extracted to a new folder (C:\XPCreate) and ran 1st time. Folders created neatly. Next I made the OEM folders (made my own little cmd there to ease that).

Next, I changed INI to reflect my settings, according to GM's explanation on his site:

[XPCREATE]
BOOTIMGFILE=
CDBURNER=E:
CDERASE=NO
CDLABEL=XPCREATE
CDSPEED=8
COPYSOURCE=NO
DELISOS=NO
DELROOT=NO
DELTEMP=YES
DLAUTO=NO
DLURL=http://xpcreate.wiretapped.us/HFLISTS
DOCABS=YES
DOCD=NO
DOISO=YES
DOPATH=YES
DOSATA=YES
DOSVCPACK=YES
DRIVERDIR=$OEM$\$1\DRIVERS
EXITQUIET=NO
OVERWRITEOEM=YES
QLOG=
SILENTINSTALL=NO
SLIPHF1=YES
SLIPHF2=YES
SLIPMDC=YES
SLIPSPK=YES
XPISO=XPCREATE.ISO
XPSOURCE=D:

Changes mainly being to set the drive letters of Burner and Source. Also I set the burnspeed to a low value to prevent burning errors (once I get to that stage). Ok, saved that and fired up XPCreate 2nd time.

I now get an error on the extraction of the bootimage stating that the source doesn't seem to be a CD.

I found out that when I change XPSOURCE=D: to XPSOURCE=D the extraction of the boot image works fine but then it hangs on another error stating that the source isn't correct: CDSOURCE\I386.

Now when I change XPSOURCE=D back to XPSOURCE=D: it works fine. Of course the image file is already on HDD now and the first line of the INI was changed to BOOTIMGFILE=BOOT\XPCTBOOT.BIN by XPCreate.

I have been able to repeat this.

My humble conclusion:

- BBIE uses XPSOURCE=D

- The rest of the process uses XPSOURCE=D:

I think this little bug is overlooked because after the 2nd run the image file is already on HDD and you never notice it again.

Hope this helps for future versions :)

Yup. I've tested it like jobbie suggested and now it works perfectly. Great! :yes:

The CD I now have doesn't seem to work though. The PC keeps rebooting. Booting form the original CD is no prob. I'll try another one, maybe just some burn error.

@GM: I know I'm new here, but can I test the new version? I've got a whole new, blank PC here just for testing purpose, no VM or VPC. :unsure:

Hmmm ... I wouldn't exactly call constant reboots working perfectly! Was it simply a burn error?

As for the testing the next version: I am on the road these days, so everything is at a standstill for at least the next week. I'll let you know after.