SP2 NTOSKRNL.EXE Problems.

Denney

OK. I don't know if anyone will be able to help me with this but here goes...

I have modified my SP2 bootscreen and placed the NTOSKRNL.EXE file back on the CD (modpe'd and compressed).

The modifications I've done are, replaced main + progress images, changed palette, changed position of the progress bar (using: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=24286).

After text-mode setup, the computer boots with my bootscreen and starts setup but once setup is finished, my computer restarts and starts loading the ORIGINAL windows xp boot screen and freezes on startup.

I looked into this in safe mode and found out that the NTOSKRNL.EXE file in system32 is actually NTKRNLMP.EXE which is the multi-processor version. Now, I don't have a multi-processor system.

If I just replace the images and do nothing else, it boots fine.

Can anyone explain this odd behaviour to me?

Note: I can replace the NTOSKRNL.EXE file AFTER boot and it works like a charm. For some reason, Windows setup is replacing the file.

Nup.. Didn't work.

I've replaced both the NTOSKRNL.EX_ file in I386 AND the NTOSKRNL.EXE file inside DRIVER.CAB.

I could modify the NTKRNLMP.EXE files but that wouldn't work as my computer isn't a multi-processor computer. Windows just freezes on bootup with the multi-processor kernel.

I don't know WHY it is using the multi-processor version of the kernel. I hope someone else is having this problem so maybe we can fix it.

Welp, I'm having problems booting up with a custom boot screen as well. My problem seems to be more severe in that when windows tries to reboot, I get the following message:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:  System32\Drivers\Ntfs.sys

My process was downloading a custom boot screen that had an ntoskrnl.exe file, copying that file to $OEM$\$$\Resources\oemkrnl.exe. I made sure to use the bootcfg commands listed in the win xp cosmetic surgery guide. Note that this guide is dated back to October 2003 -- service pack 2 obv. hadn't come out yet. I see some other people had this problem in a few threads, but no answer.

I can only surmise that SP2 is doing something different here ... Also, I read somewhere that there are approximately 4 differnt kernel.exe files. Can anyone help us out here with customizing boot screens for sp2? I've tried this numerious times, but always end up with corrupted ntfs.sys file.

@Tark

Your problem is a simple version conflict. Downloading a kernel that ISN'T a SP2 kernel of build 2180 WILL NOT WORK. Simply hope whoever made it releases a new one, or you have to rebuild it yourself.

@RaveRod

My only guess is that the file you're editing is the multiprocessor kernel, and not the single. You could also avoid applying the bootscreen untill GUIRunOnce, as it WILL get replaced during setup. Around T-27 give or take. Are you sure youdon't have a hyperthreaded system? Are you testing in VMWare? If so, is your base system a hyperthread?

@Tark

Your problem is a simple version conflict. Downloading a kernel that ISN'T a SP2 kernel of build 2180 WILL NOT WORK. Simply hope whoever made it releases a new one, or you have to rebuild it yourself.

I apologize for my ignorance, but can someone tell me how to go about determining if a particular kernel.exe file is in fact build 2180? I'm sure there is some simple utility for this, but it would be appreciated if someone could point me in the right direction.

Also, are people simply hacking their own kernels like BigPoppa, or are any of us just trying to find a boot screen that is already out there complete with the appropriate build 2180 kernel?

Thanks!

@Tark

I apologize for my ignorance, but can someone tell me how to go about determining if a particular kernel.exe file is in fact build 2180? I'm sure there is some simple utility for this, but it would be appreciated if someone could point me in the right direction.

Also, are people simply hacking their own kernels like BigPoppa, or are any of us just trying to find a boot screen that is already out there complete with the appropriate build 2180 kernel?

Thanks!

Right click on the exe, choose properties, and click the version tab.

Right click on the exe, choose properties, and click the version tab.

That's embarrassingly simple.

Just so I am sure, when I see the version listed in one of these kernel.exe files, I see a version like this: 5.1.2600.1106

Am I to assume the last node of "1106" is the build number?

Yes.....

the File Version for SP2 should read

for it to work.

As for

If you're getting them from themexp.org, the newer ones should have a SP2 kernel. Otherwise, YES you will HAVE TO MAKE YOUR OWN. There are two programs that can do it for you, or you can use ResourceTuner. Boot Editor is a good option if you want it down for you.

OK. Heres my info...

1. I'm using VMWare and it's NOT hyperthreaded or multi-processor.

2. The kernel will be replaced after T-12 aswell (tried replacing it in CMDLINES but got overwritten).

3. I'm definately modifing the single processor versions (NTOSKRNL.EX_ and NTOSKRNL.EXE).

4. If I don't change the position of the progress bar or the color palette it uses the single processor kernel.

Modified Palette or Progress Bar    SingleProcessor Kernel MultiProcessorKernel
No                                  Yes                       No
Yes                                 No                        Yes

So, you see the problem now? I have NO IDEA why it replaces the single-processor kernel with the multi-processor one.

@Big poppa pimp: I don't know why I'd have to modify EVERY kernel on the CD when Windows will only boot with the single-processor one.

Here is a quote from MS

During installation on single processor systems, Windows XP Professional Setup copies Ntoskrnl.exe from the operating system CD . During installation on multi-processor systems, Windows XP Professional Setup copies Ntoskrnlmp.exe and renames it Ntoskrnl.exe.

If it helps at all?

How about copying and renaming Ntoskrnl.exe to Ntoskrnlmp.exe, and see what that does.

If it does not boot then, you may have an error in your Ntoskrnl.exe?