How to move "Document and Settings"

flob

Hello,

I'm looking for a way to move the "Document and Settings" folder to another partition during an unattended install of WXP SP2.

For instance, I'd like to copy this folder to d: and make Windows use it from this location, (an not c: any more)

I must say that setting the variable in the WINNT.SIF does not fit my need (I don't want this folder to be blindly overwritten)

How can I do this ?

Thanks to the WXP gurus !

Setting [GuiUnattended] ProfilesDir="D:\Profiles" in winnt.sif doesn't work? It should.

Changing this value in the registry after installation of XP is NOT recommended. The Default User and All User profiles are hard-coded during setup, not to mention the Administrator account.

However, you CAN change it after setup by editing the machine (HKLM) registry settings. I also believe TWEAKUI can do this too, perhaps even Group Policy Editor. But again, I wouldn't do it this way, you're just asking for weird problems later on.

I did not say that the ProfilesDir does not work, I've said that it's not doing what I want. ProfilesDir might overwrite the existing things I already have.

I want to reuse the "Documents and settings" if I have to reinstall my system... this way I only reinstall the system drive and I keep my parameters, bookmarks, email, desktop icons, My Docs... and so on.

Maybe there are some other ways to do it ?

The only way to do what you are thinking is to logon to a domain and use "Roaming Profiles". If your D: drive is NTFS you will also have problems with file and folder permissions after you reinstall.

Again, you will need another computer on your network and set it up as a Active Directory (or NT4) Domain Controller - complete with DHCP and DNS and all the other headaches that go with it.

Trust me, you're not the first person to have this idea. But you can go ahead and waste a ton of time trying to get this to work without a domain.

• 2 weeks later...

could you tell how you exactly did it?

i tried this, but it doesn't work:

net share myprofile=D:\myprofile /remark:"My Profiles Folder"

net use \\COMPUTER\myprofile

net user myAccountName /PROFILEPATH:\\COMPUTER\myprofile

would be glad to get some help...

thx

In windows press [Win]-[F1], this brings the windows help.

Search for "net user"

The first item on the left panel brings:

net user [nombreDeUsuario [contraseña | *] [opciones]]

Where related opciones are:

/homedir:rutaDeAcceso
/profilepath:[rutaDeAcceso]

Sorry for the Spanish words as I only have access to Spanish help.

I only point to documentation souce, NOT TRIED this kind of stuff.

Please report back if help/work for you.