kTool (just another software selector)

kenedy

@kenedy, i just took a first look at kTool.

Really like your INI-syntax, very easy to use.

A few small suggestions for future versions of kTool:

INI-syntax:

- per application keyword 'default=1' for applications that should be installed by default

- global keyword 'autoInstallSeconds=360' will wait for user input till xxx seconds and than start installing the default applications only.

Interface:

- little typo 'avialable' should be 'available . :whistle:

- i don't like selecting applications by using the cursor keys, i would like to browse though the list with cursur keys and select with spacebar or double click (for example). Maybe you can fix that?

- sort the application list by alfabet.

Thats it. Hope you like the suggestions. ;)

- per application keyword 'default=1' for applications that should be installed by default
There is global default application list now.
- global keyword 'autoInstallSeconds=360' will wait for user input till xxx seconds and than start installing the default applications only.

I have serious doubts about usefulness of this.

- little typo 'avialable' should be 'available .  :whistle:
Ok. Will be fixed :hello:
- i don't like selecting applications by using the cursor keys, i would like to browse though the list with cursur keys and select with spacebar or double click (for example). Maybe you can fix that?

No. I like the current way. All mouse navigation is kept to minimum.

- sort the application list by alfabet.

But then you can't sort them by category.

@Kennedy,

The autoInstallSeconds could be handy if you don't have time to come back to the keyboard. If you use this functionality the system can be completly installed with the default software.

About navigating without mouse; totally agree, keyboardnavigation is a lot faster. Maybe you could make it like this: navigate with cursur keys, select with spacebar. In your current version, browsing through the list alone equals selecting the applications..

Can you explain what you mean with the catagory function? I cannot this back in the program.. :}

Well, for "categories" you could make a "Program" with no parameter called [----------], and then ---------- will show up on the list, thus breaking the list into sections.

Suggestion 1: VERSION NUMBERS, so we don't get confused as to which version we have.

Suggestion 2: Unlimited amount of each function - anything can be put under [Program], and should work correctly. (ex: 3 RunWaits)

hmm.. got some errors (see pic) i think that the blue line on the right pane is 0:

second error when i try to edit the win_xp.ini

on my test computer the tool restores the old win_xp.ini

so even when i delete all files and copy a new set that works on my pc

it sets the old config back.

btw when i drag and drop the ini file it works :wacko:

edit:

ok the ktool copy's the ini file to Documents and Settings\name\Local Settings\Temp

i did delete it and it works fine now.

post-70-1096059770_thumb.jpg

edmoncu

>>wanna clarify something, where have you uploaded a newer version?

Just redowload file.

Senser

>>The autoInstallSeconds could be handy if you don't have time to come back to the keyboard.

What kind of installation would that be? Half-unattended? :wacko: I think WPI wave that functionality. Search forum for it.

>>About navigating without mouse...

I think current way is faster. Anyway I can't change it without destroying ability to select items with one click.

>>Can you explain what you mean with the catagory function?

Items show up in order that you write them in ini file. Therefore you can have all antivirus in one block, archivers in one block etc.

a06lp

>> VERSION NUMBERS

Good idea.

>>Unlimited amount of each function

Excellent idea. Could't figure out how many commands to add. 2,5,100? Unlimited is the answer :thumbup But this requires much reprogramming so will take some time.

>>Well, for "categories" you could make a "Program" with no parameter called [----------]...

It already works that way.

>>Well, for "categories" you could make a "Program" with no parameter called [----------]...

Oh, sorry it doesnt. Currently only empty sections "[]" are not selectable.

Edited by kenedy

Offtopic

I created other tool for building unattended Windows CD's.

But it's too big to post on this forum. 120K actually but with all example and other files it takes ~1MB. Can anyone suggest a place to host it?

Ok, have it. Thanks mazin

Edited by kenedy

Hi Kenedy

Thanks for updating your simple yet powerful tool. I like the fact that it has the functions I need and nothing more (I love the clear .ini file format).

I have one simple request though. I like the fact that Ktool selects an .ini file depending on the OS, but I would also like to specify a .ini file, WITHOUT Ktool going in to unattended mode.

Here's why I need it: During first logon, I call ktool with a .ini file that installs the default applications unattended, then I run a .vbs scripts, that detects the computer model, and either runs Ktool again with a specific .ini file for that computer (e.g. if its a notebook I would need to install notebook related software), or tells the user that it doesn’t know the computer model, and asks the user to select any extra applications by them self. This list shouldn't contain all the default programs I already installed, but only the extra programs for that OS.

- Best regards, Egil.

egil

Sounds good.

And it fits well it new code. Will add it.

Two possible ways to to it:

1. Add key to .ini file

[Config]

Silent = 1/0

2. Add command line parameter

ktool.exe inifile.ini /silent=1

Which one would be better?

I'd would say that the second option is better, to use a /silent switch. This way the the .ini file can be used in a non-unattended situation, thus keeping the number of .ini files down, which leads to less maintenance.

With that in mind, you should generally keep things like "silent mode", "reboot after xx seconds" - basically options that is only valid for a specific run of Ktool, and options that apply to all programs, out of the ini files, so that a .ini file can be used in as many situations as possible.