need help with ATI catalyst 4.9 drivers

Orion Pax

Ok I followed the instructions for install shield setup with the ISS file.....I find two of them...one in a driver folder and the second in a cpanel folder. I tried using the one in the driver folder and tested the silent install. It worked fine except for two steps....I still had to click on the EXPRESS SETUP button and I had to click on the "NO DO NOT RESTART" radio button and click on finish.

Other than that it installed fine. How will I get it to avoid the two steps its forcing me to intervien? The second ISS file has the exact name as the other. Both are setup.iss.....should I try combining the information in the two?

Please make sure to read the post before posting! I said I read and followed the instructions. I did all of that. If ya had read my post you would have known this by now.

I have TWO...yes that is 2 ISS files. One for the drivers and one for the cpanel. When I use the one for the drivers I still have to interviene with it 2 times other than that the rest of it does fine. I want it so I dont have to click on any thing.

I am assuming that the 2 incidents that I have to click on it are from the cpanel. How do I use the ISS file for the cpanel setup when both are named SETUP.ISS???

I had the same problem at first, at least with it asking to restart. Didn't have a problem with it asking for the express install. In any case, I had to make one more setup.iss that one of the components was missing.

In... \$1\Install\Catalyst\ I have a total of 4 setup.iss files...one in the main directory, and ones in CPanel, WDM, and Driver. While I don't know if they're all necessary, it works for me...make sure they all have the BootOption=0 line and if you're missing any of them you can create one by running that individual installer with the -R switch.

So what files do I use....from what I gather from you, you are using the files AFTER ISS extracts them to the hard drive in the ATI folder......I am using the EXE that is used to do that....the one downloaded straight from ATI.

Could you tell me exactly how you done it the way you described. Cuz the way I am going about it dont seem like its going to work.

I allready have the files extracted.....i just need you to tell me how you went about telling windows to install each one....

Ok first I'm installing this from the start.cmd in [GuiRunOnce]. It's the full package. YMMV if your setup isn't the same...I'm really no expert.

Run the base setup.exe (the one after you've extracted everything from the ATI download) with the -R switch. The setup.iss it generates looked like this for me:

[InstallShield Silent]
Version=v6.00.000
File=Response File
[File Transfer]
OverwrittenReadOnly=NoToAll
[{43801800-CFEE-11D2-A41B-006097B55AD3}-DlgOrder]
Dlg0={43801800-CFEE-11D2-A41B-006097B55AD3}-SdWelcome-0
Count=3
Dlg1={43801800-CFEE-11D2-A41B-006097B55AD3}-SdLicense-0
Dlg2={43801800-CFEE-11D2-A41B-006097B55AD3}-SdOptionsButtons-0
[{43801800-CFEE-11D2-A41B-006097B55AD3}-SdWelcome-0]
Result=1
[{43801800-CFEE-11D2-A41B-006097B55AD3}-SdLicense-0]
Result=1
[{43801800-CFEE-11D2-A41B-006097B55AD3}-SdOptionsButtons-0]
Result=101

You need to add BootOption=0 on the last line. I also found that I needed to go into the \WDM\ directory, run setup.exe -R again, and put its setup.iss there. The installers in \CPanel\ and \Driver\ already have them.

This setup seems to work flawlessly for me. Run this first in your start.cmd file or second if you install .NET from the start.cmd as well.

Yeah I got all of that....but I am talking about THE FILES that you actually use....to put on the cd.

Are you using the files that are extracted from the EXE IN YOUR CD? If so do I use the setup.exe for each one separately?

Or are you putting both the EXE and the extracted files on your cd?

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, 4.9 is giving me some serious heartburn.

Runing setup -R in the installt dir for the control panel is not generating the setup.iss the way it used to. Here's what I'm getting, and it tracks with what was posted a few messages up:

[InstallShield Silent]
Version=v6.00.000
File=Response File
[File Transfer]
OverwrittenReadOnly=NoToAll
[{43801800-CFEE-11D2-A41B-006097B55AD3}-DlgOrder]
Dlg0={43801800-CFEE-11D2-A41B-006097B55AD3}-SdWelcome-0
Count=3
Dlg1={43801800-CFEE-11D2-A41B-006097B55AD3}-SdLicense-0
Dlg2={43801800-CFEE-11D2-A41B-006097B55AD3}-SdOptionsButtons-0
[{43801800-CFEE-11D2-A41B-006097B55AD3}-SdWelcome-0]
Result=1
[{43801800-CFEE-11D2-A41B-006097B55AD3}-SdLicense-0]
Result=1
[{43801800-CFEE-11D2-A41B-006097B55AD3}-SdOptionsButtons-0]
Result=101

Adding the bootoption=0 tag at the end doesn't change the behavior when you run the silent install. It invariably comes up and asks for a choice on rebooting.

Yes, I know the ATI CP issue has been beaten like it owed us money, but the install has changed, what was working isn't, and I'm getting whiny.

Any thoughts?

Right, and that's what I said I was doing.

Runing setup -R in the installt dir for the control panel is not generating the setup.iss the way it used to. Here's what I'm getting, and it tracks with what was posted a few messages up:

I don't download the combined driver - waste of bandwidth. I download the driver (which installs fine, as always, via the OEMPnP for the driver itself, and again with the setup -s) and the control panel. The CP install is extracted and I run setup -R from within that directory. Did I misunderstand you?

My friend, I think I'd like to buy you a beer!

That's EXACTLY what I did. I downloaded the third file, and totally missed the second one.

I'm guessing that cfeedback must have done the same thing, since our ISS files were identical. Done with the correct :blushing: bit-base, the ISS is correct and has the noreboot tag at the end.

Two questions for you, though, just to get the answer in here and searchable.

1. What's the difference between the CP and the CC, from a functional standpoint.

2. So, the CC in the ACE directory is installable as an MSI using the normal methods?

Thanks again!

Thats one way of doing it, another is to run the Setup.exe in the wxp-CATALYST-CONTROL-CENTER-17633C directory with the -R switch. The iss file can then be found as usual in the windows directory. Then just do the -s switch and its silent and no reboot.

On a side note, the combined driver/wdm/ccc setup file wasnt working to well with my card, XP didnt find it at all so i got 4bits of color and 640x480 lovely resolution. So everyone out there with ATi cards, stick with the driver only and if you want the ccc aswell, download that seperately.