Successful NVRAID unattended slipstream

cfeedback

you say that vmware emulates hardware, but i didn't see any options that says you can pick specific motherboards/processors/memory/whatever.

so in retrospect, there is no way to test whether or not nvidia raid works unless it is being tested on real hardware.

You are 100% correct. It emulates hardware, but no, you don't get to choose. In VirtualPC, for example, it emulates an S3 Trio for the video card.

And you are also 100% correct that there's no way to test it other than a "live" trial. What I'd recommend you do is burn it to a CDRW and boot into Windows setup long enough to verify that it sees your array. If it does, you're set.

• 2 weeks later...

i'm baaaaack!

so i finally decided to put together my new system. everything powers up, so all hardware is good.

i have two seagate sata drives hooked into the nvidia raid ports 1 and 2. i've got all the bios settings setup correctly for raid, and i created a striped array under the nvidia bios setup utility.

i then go to the windows setup with my unattended cd (with nvidia drivers loaded). everything seems to load up fine at first, but then when i get to my partition selection screen, i see two drives instead of one (for the striped array). i am guessing there is a problem with my driver integration somehow, but it at least sees the drives, so i know the sata portion of the drivers is working correctly. anybody seen this before or know how to fix it? i'd really like to use raid 0 on this new computer.

well i have given up on the unattended xp cd.

after pulling some hair out, i finally broke down and created a floppy disk with the nvidia raid drivers on it and loaded up the original windows xp disk. it saw the raid array as a single drive. from then on, i knew there was something wrong with the drivers on my unattended disk (they are the drivers i extracted from the nforce 6.39 installation package from nvidia.com). so, i tried to replace those drivers on my unattended cd with the ones i had on the floppy disk (which are the ones supplied on my motherboard driver cd). no dice. still shows up as two separate drives.

after about 4 hours and 4 cd-r disks now drink coasters, i've given up on my unattended installation on this computer.

• 2 weeks later...

NVRAID works on MSI K8N Neo Platinum motherboard as well!

Thank you all very much :hello: . This thread has helped me make an unattended XP SP2 install cd with the NVidia RAID drivers automatically loaded.

Although the procedure to get your nvraid drivers detected and loaded for use during windows installation has been posted in this thread before, I'll show it again to help others who need another example.

I also used information outside the thread from http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1703&page=8

1) copy the raid drivers which came with your motherboard to a separate directory of the future cd : in my case CDROOT/$OEM$/$1/Drivers/nvraid

2) add the following line to the [unattended] section of winnt.sif

OemPnpDriversPath="Drivers\nvraid"

3) paste the following entries to the end of TXTSETUP.SIF BEFORE the ' ' character that marks the end of the document

[SourceDisksFiles]
nvatabus.sys          = 1,,,,,,4_,4,1,,,1,4
nvraid.sys            = 1,,,,,,4_,4,1,,,1,4

[HardwareIdsDatabase]
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_008E = "nvatabus"
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0085 = "nvatabus"
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_00D5 = "nvatabus"
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_00EE = "nvatabus"
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_00E3 = "nvatabus"
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_00E5 = "nvatabus"
*_NVRAIDBUS           = "nvraid"
GenNvRaidDisk         = "nvraid"

[SCSI.load]
nvatabus              = nvatabus.sys,4
nvraid                = nvraid.sys,4

[SCSI]
nvatabus              = "NVIDIA NForce Storage Controller"
nvraid                = "NVIDIA RAID CLASS DRIVER"

4) pack the 2 nvraid drivers

makecab CDROOT\$OEM$\$1\Drivers\nvraid\nvatabus.sys CDROOT\i386\nvatabus.sy_
makecab CDROOT\$OEM$\$1\Drivers\nvraid\nvraid.sys CDROOT\i386\nvraid.sy_

5) Burn the unattended install CD

6) Setup your raid hardware, an set the correct BIOS settings.

That's all I needed to do. I see that the drivers get loaded during the first windows installation phase, and my RAID0 harddrives show up as only 1 drive, to be partitioned. Great! :thumbup

As you'll notice I didn't need to list them all, and in fact had a couple for the MCP2 that I'm pretty sure I didn't need. I don't think it hurts to list them all for a universal nforce install. If it's not clear, you start after the comma and list everything to the right = "driver"

Well... It seems it DOES matter! I keep getting a BSOD when I list ALL PCI ID's:

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0065= "MCP2"
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_00D5&REV_A2= "CK8"
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_00D5&REV_F2= "CK8B"
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_00D5&REV_A4= "CK8"
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_00D5&REV_F4= "CK8B"
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_00D5&REV_A5= "CK8"
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_00D5&REV_F5= "CK8B"
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_00D5&REV_A6= "CK8"
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_00D5&REV_F6= "CK8B"
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_008E&REV_A2= "MCP2SS"
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_008E&REV_A3= "MCP2SS"
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0085= "MCP2SP"
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_00E5= "CK8SSP"
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_00EE= "CK8SSS"
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_00E3= "CK8SSS"
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0055= "CK804SSS"
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0054= "CK804SSS"
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0053= "CK804SSP"
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_003E= "MCP04SSS"
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0036= "MCP04SSS"
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0035= "MCP04SSP"
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0267= "MCP51S"
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0266= "MCP51S"
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0265= "MCP51P"

, but when I only use the ones you posted

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_008E = "MCP2"
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0085 = "MCP2"
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_00D5 = "MCP2"
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_00EE = "MCP2"
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_00E3 = "MCP2"
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_00E5 = "MCP2"

I DON'T get this error. Many of you may think: "Hey, no problem, if it works, it's ok!", but the problem is: using such a limited number of HardwareID's IS a problem!

That way setup will simply use the default/regular IDE drivers, thus NOT the nvatabus driver.

At first I thought this was being caused by the idecoi.dll file, but it seems that the problem just lies in the driver itself: nvatabus.sys.

Just search on the net for keywords like "nvidia boot nvatabus.sys", and you'll find plenty complainting....

Or take a look at the Drivers forum at nForcersHQ

Take for example this topic. He doesn't even install it from textmode setup, and still it's failing to work properly! UNBELIEVABLE bad drivers, nVidia! Shame on you!

Note: I'm talking about DP MassStorage here :P

An example of someone else for whom slipstreamed nVidia IDE drivers result in a BSOD:

topic

EDIT: forgot the conlcusion :blushing:

The conclusion: DON'T slipstream the nvatabus.sys driver, this will result in a BSOD. However, I'm not very sure if it's required to get the nvraid working? Anyway, I _think_ that the driver will get installed afterwards, if you simply include it in the PnP drivers!

Edited by Bâshrat the Sneaky

Nice detective work. I know you are pressed for time Bâshrat, but could I make a request? Could you release a version of the Mass Storage drivers with all of the drivers that work updated but using a previous release of the Nvidia drivers that are giving everyone so many problems?

The last time I started editing entries for slipstreamed nvraid drivers I got myself in a world of hurt which took me days to straighten out. Windows slipstreaming has not been my area of expertise and I've been awaiting the fix for this bug with baited breath. I have a couple of new systems which I want to deploy with WinXP Pro SR2 slipstreamed in as soon as possible.

If you're close to a final workaround then just disregard this request. Thanks for all the work in troubleshooting and maintaining these driver packs. I think you are doing an outstanding job.

thx 4 those tutorials :)

i did all the steps you described but it seems that it doesn't work

first i set up the raid bios

then i made my unattended win-cd - the textmode setup seems to load the drivers (no errors), but when it asks for choosing a partition to install i don't see a raid-array but the 2 hdds the raid is made of :(

my config-files:

txtsetup.sif

[SourceDisksFiles]
nvatabus.sys          = 1,,,,,,4_,4,1,,,1,4
nvraid.sys            = 1,,,,,,4_,4,1,,,1,4

[HardwareIdsDatabase]
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_008E, "nvatabus"
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0085, "nvatabus"
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_00D5, "nvatabus"
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_00EE, "nvatabus"
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_00E3, "nvatabus"
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_00E5, "nvatabus"
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0035, "nvatabus"
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0036, "nvatabus"
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_003E, "nvatabus"
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0053, "nvatabus"
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0054, "nvatabus"
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0055, "nvatabus"
*_NVRAIDBUS           = "nvraid"
GenNvRaidDisk         = "nvraid"

[SCSI.load]
nvatabus              = nvatabus.sys,4
nvraid                = nvraid.sys,4

[SCSI]
nvatabus              = "NVIDIA NForce Storage Controller"
nvraid                = "NVIDIA RAID CLASS DRIVER"

winnt.sif

OemPnPDriversPath="Drivers\Athlon64;Drivers\FP767;Drivers\NVRAID;Drivers\NVLAN"

hardware = msi k8 neo4 ultra

• 5 months later...

Hi,

I just bought a Gigabyte GA-K8NS Ultra-939 as my previous GigabyteMB died.

Prior to installing anything I downloaded latest bios / drivers from GB site.

I upgraded bios to latest version installed Maxtor diamond data drives in raid on NVraid bus. Bios reported raid array all ok.

I then proceeded to installl windows xp.

After hitting F6 and loading nvidia drivers

XPSP1 would hang at "Setting Up windows" Just before "Disk manager" loads.

XPSP2 would reboot at same point

After a LOT of trying different drivers from gigabyte, nvidia, asus, MSI etc etc.

I finally found the original F5 bios for this MB, installed it.

Using original drivers on CD, windows installed perfectly.

Doing a clean install each time

I tried different drivers from Nvidia.

Up to ver 510 works.

Ver 6.53 fails.

I then tried updating drivers from within windows.

Anything above ver 510 causes windows to reboot when gui starts.

Hope this helps :)

• 1 month later...

nvidia is releasing new driver 6.70 but i think the sata comes with it is useless too...

will hang the winxp installation if the sataraid driver is slipstreaming with it...

but if keep using 5.10 sataraid drivers...

does this driver works well with intel nvidia sata chipset?

or newest SLI X16 chipset?

too many drivers ... too many hardware and confuse @@"

• 2 months later...
Bâshrat the Sneaky

So your saying my settings should be okay and this should have worked for me? Maybe its the drivers causeing the problems. I am going to extract the drivers from the Nvidia nForce3 5.03 package at the MSI site. Just realized the drivers I were kind of dated. Think I am going to change the raid from 32k to 64k too. If this doesn't work its RMA time. Man I miss my NF7-S 2.0 anf my 2500+ at 2.3ghz!!

BigA

ow I misunderstood you.. thought it worked for you...

Well anyway, please try my driverpack!

im also saying explain s*** better...that step he was confused on makes NO SENSE how about you clarify! also do the 2 files need to be in the same cab file or no?

• 7 months later...

newer nvidia chipset 570 /590 raid is using latest raid driver and by using my old nvraid from nvidia 3 driver pack doesn't works on them anymore...

big problem now...

does anybody success slipstreaming nvraid on nvidia 570/590 chipset?

looks like the new nvidia nvraid leave nforge 3 /4 sata driver behind in new driver with same name....

how do we get the new nvraid to slipstreaming @@"

Edited by cyberloner