Windows Explorer problem

pthomas

I'm hoping that one of you out there has seen this before, when I right-click in a windows explorer window and put the mouse over the "new" option on the drop-down menu, that explorer window just freezes for about 45 seconds. After that 45 seconds, the menu disappears and the folder refreshes.

If I go to file -> new I get the same results. Watching taskmanager on the process tab, the system doesn;t get hammered at all. Explorer just craps itself, but all other windows are fine.

I tried to take a screenshot of it and when I do, the File -> New menu shows items in it. I've tried to click on where I think the items are, but that menu and the explorer window freeze completely when I try to go to New.

I'm running SP2 and have already run a full virus scan with NAV corp 9 and a full spyware scan with Spybot1.3 and Spysweeper, all with latest definitions available. Nothing was found in either case.

I've done a rebuild of the system (not a complete format yet) and that solved the problem for about a day and then it cropped back up.

Any ideas?

Paul

I'd wager that something in the registry isn't right, but as to where to look and what to delete for this specific problem, I'm not sure where to go. I'm used to fighting all sorts of spyware related stuff and weird problems. This one is classified as weird in my book.

Any ideas where the info is in the registry that defiles what items are listed in the "new" menu option?

Paul

;Removes Briefcase, Document, and Rich-Text-Document from New Menu.

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.bfc\ShellNew]

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.doc\ShellNew]

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.rtf\ShellNew]

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.doc\WordPad.Document.1\ShellNew]

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.bmp\ShellNew]

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.wav\ShellNew]

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.zip\CompressedFolder\ShellNew]

Maybe this helps.

The slowdown of the menu maybe because of the crowd. The list it have to show is very long and maybe that's why it's taking to much time.

Try to remove some of the entries !

Romoved all those entries without any luck. I even went as far as killing any process that wasn't a recognised windows process, and still the same results. When it freezes up it still takes just as long.

And it's not like this is a slow PC, AthlonXP 2500 w/ 1gig or Ram....

Any other ideas you can think of for me to try?

Paul