on IIS: how to run it on XP Pro?

chee

Sure.

1. Open control panel.

2. Open add remove programs.

3. Select the Add/Remove Windows Component tab on the side.

4. Scroll down till you see IIS (it's the 5th options) and tick the box. If you want to install ftp support and a few other things then click details and select them.

5. Now press next and it will begin installing.

It's as easy as that. IIS is only on that list in the pro version and you wll require the windows CD to install it.

Once it's installed you can manage it by right clicking my computer and select manage. It will be under services and applications.

Actually, it can be installed on XP home, but it's quite a workaround, and it's not very recommended either... I use IIS a lot, but as far as FTP goes, there's far better than IIS for that. Also note that XP ships with IIS 5.1, which has some serious limitations, first being limited to only one virtual site, the second being 10 simultaneous connections (not users). The first one is easily bypassed by using another iisadmin (3rd party or the one from 2k server), the second limitation can be increased up to 39 simultaneous conns by editing the metabase with metaedit (by microsoft, free). Together, it makes for a more tolerable testing/devel machine... My unattended installs install both install another iisadmin and metaedit 2.2, comes in handy.

thanks to Crahak and Coco.

i've installed IIS in the attempt to it to establish an FTP server,but i don't know if it's necessary to apply for a virtual website in advance to run the server.

i'm in china and i'm using Greatwall Broad Band provided by the ISP: China Telecom.

could u give me some more tips?

bow~

If it's solelt for FTP purposes, then I'd really consider something else than IIS instead. IIS is very good - except for FTP imho. I'd just install a good ftp server instead, create your accounts and setup port forwarding to it and you're done... Personally, I use IIS for web pages only and G6 ftp server for FTP access.