"Windows Light"

SiMoNsAyS

A new version of Windows XP comes to the market, "Windows Light" it's the lite version of Windows XP for countries of the 3rd world. Its price, 36$ far from the initial number of 180$.

The price is justified by the limitations: 800x600 as maximum resolution, only capable of running 3 tasks at the same time, local net limitations and so on... It will probably force manufacturers to install a Palladyum type device, included with X-Box too, that prevents to run OSs like Linux and third party programs. Finally it will block some p2p programs like eDonkey or eMule.

Finally Windows XP Started Edition will included the DRM technology that blocks the playback of digital book copies, mp3 or DivX.

Translated by me from here, sorry for mistakes

Saw this on Slashdot a while ago.

I don't see how it can "prevents to run OSs like Linux" though.

I don't think this will work very well. Most people in 3rd world countries will just continue to pirate - why pay $36USD for a limited copy when someone could have a fully functioning (pirated) copy for a fraction of that?

/self does not condone piracy

I don't see how it can "prevents to run OSs like Linux" though.

i don't know about this too, but what it's sure it's if m$ wants, it cans.

...and about piracy... i don't agree with you, this is principally intended for manufacturers not for home users.

this way m$ give the oportunity to manufacturers of buying a license for a less price to justify the use of windows in their platforms, so m$ earns money and prevents the piracy the same way

i don't know about this too, but what it's sure it's if m$ wants, it cans.

Uh, no, they can't. What's to stop me from throwing in a LiveCD, re-partitioning the disks, making reiser4fs/reiserfs(3)/ext(2/3)/etc. partitions, and installing my distro of choice?

Even if you could, you'd have to implement it on a hardware level, by disallowing boot from CDs (ugh?), and thus it wouldn't be "Microsoft" that does it. And even then - crippled machine.

I didn't see any mention of it being bundled with machines when this story was mentioned on Slashdot.

yes, of course the can :lol:

Even if you could, you'd have to implement it on a hardware level
of course, it's implemented at hardware level i didn't say it wasn't
Palladium was Microsoft's codename for their new "trusted computing" architecture. In 2003, Microsoft reacted to the negative publicity surrounding the Palladium operating system by dropping the name "Palladium". They now refer to it as the "next-generation secure computing base" (NGSCB).

Opponents characterise it as an attempt to control the market for computer hardware and software, thus entrenching and extending Microsoft's existing desktop computer operating system and software monopoly. Opponents have also characterised it as an attempt to leverage this monopoly into a monopoly over Digital Rights Management, and hence effective control over the content delivery industry. They further fear that the Palladium platform will eventually control all aspects of computer operation, including web browsing and E-mail.

More about m$ Palladyum here.

• 2 weeks later...

just heard about this

its going to be called windows xp started edition...

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2...rterPilotPR.asp

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/newsroo...XPStarterFS.asp

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/article2/0,...,1616626,00.asp

though very old news aug 04.. **** I should do more reading... on time.