What is wrong with this goddamn winnt.sif?

Hi,

can anybody tell me what is wrong with this goddamn winnt.sif?

At the beginning of the install (from ISO and I am trying it on virtual pc), it says something like "There is a problem with one of the lines of the inf, the process will stop". What is this "inf", that is mentioned in the error message? Is it winnt.sif or something else?

;SetupMgrTag

[Data]

AutoPartition=0

MsDosInitiated="0"

UnattendedInstall="Yes"

[unattended]

UnattendMode=FullUnattended

OemSkipEula=Yes

OemPreinstall=Yes

TargetPath=\WINDOWS

UnattendSwitch="yes"

FileSystem=*

[GuiUnattended]

AdminPassword=*

EncryptedAdminPassword=NO

OEMSkipRegional=1

TimeZone=130

OemSkipWelcome=1

[userData]

ProductKey=xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx

FullName="."

OrgName="."

ComputerName=pc

[Display]

BitsPerPel=16

Xresolution=800

YResolution=600

Vrefresh=60

[TapiLocation]

CountryCode=90

AreaCode=352

[RegionalSettings]

LanguageGroup=6

[identification]

JoinWorkgroup=HERKES

[Networking]

InstallDefaultComponents=Yes

[GuiRunOnce]

%systemdrive%\install\start.cmd

My default winXP system is on C, I installed virtual pc on D. Will it cause any problems?

[GuiRunOnce]

%systemdrive%\install\start.cmd

edited this post because my answer was wrong.

Try to find the right solution to your problem...please post you complete winnt.sif Levent Arslan.

Edited by visaversa

Hi,

kungfumaster9, I changed autopartition=1, but I still see the same error massage.

It must be something else.

Thanks...

visaversa, instead of %systemdrive% what should I write there? The name of the HDD partition that I am trying to install the system or the name of the cd-drive?(is there any hope for me doctor :( )

Thanks...

I'm not exactly sure what your problem is but

i use thie following, and it works fine:

[GuiUnattended]

DetachedProgram=%systemdrive%\Drivers.exe

so the variable %systemdrive% is acceptable in WINNT.SIF

Shark007

I guess your right about that, must be mixing things up here....

"There is a problem with one of the lines of the inf, the process will stop". What is this "inf", that is mentioned in the error message? Is it winnt.sif or something else?

winnt.sif is not an inf file... Doesn't the error message give you any clue of wich file there is a problem with?

Look at the very bottom of the screen during install, maybe you will see which file it stops at.. for example biosinfo.inf, dosnet.inf, hivedef.inf.......

Made any modifications to dosnet.inf?

Hi,

ToBe...the error occurs right after I drag-drop the ISO file on Virtual PC. After 8-10 seconds ( after it says something like "controlling your hardware"(my xp is Turkish so this is not the exact massage but I hope you understand it)), it says "There is a problem with one line of the inf" and it stops.

I made the following addition to dosnet.inf as its mentioned in the guide.

[OptionalSrcDirs]

Update

visaversa, I put my whole winnt.sif file in the first post.

PS: Could the Virtual PC be the cause of the problem? Should I burn the ISO to a cd and try it?

I would undo any changes you possibly made to any .inf files as a troubleshutting process and then start adding then one by one, when you see it again is probably where the probablem is.

Hi,

I would undo any changes you possibly made to any .inf files as a troubleshutting process and then start adding then one by one, when you see it again is probably where the probablem is

I made only one change to an .inf file. I added a line to dosnet.inf and the line was

[OptionalSrcDirs]

Update

I did not make any changes to any .inf files other than that. I deleted that line but the result was same.

As I mentioned earlier, right after I drag-drop the ISO file on Virtual PC, the error occurs. At first I thought there was a problem with "Answer File", but the error massage says: There is a problem with a line of the .inf file. Which .inf is used at the beginning of installing process(in the first 10 or 15 seconds)?

Levent Arslan,

after comparing your winnt.sif w/ mine. i notice three things that are different

first

autopartition=1 your is 0

second

you have "FileSystem=*" i don't have that in mine, Mine set to auto NTFS so if you are planning to use NTFS u can just remove it.

third

[GuiRunOnce]

%systemdrive%\install\start.cmd ( i don't have this)

my RunOnceEx.cmd is launched from $OEM$ using cmdlines.txt

with this code

[COMMANDS]
"REGEDIT /S tweaks.reg"

"RunOnceEx.cmd"

hope this helps out a bit

Hi,

first

autopartition=1 your is 0

second

you have "FileSystem=*" i don't have that in mine, Mine set to auto NTFS so if you are planning to use NTFS u can just remove it.

third

[GuiRunOnce]%systemdrive%\install\start.cmd ( i don't have this)

I put these 3 lines because it was written so in the guide(Creating The Ultimate Unattanded WinXP CD)

I follow all the steps in the guide.

IcemanND mentioned "FileSystem=*" line before like you, so I'll give it a try.

Thanks...both of you :)

What happens if you delete the winnt.sif file and drops the iso into VirtualPC. Still the same error?

I moved in a new place and I don't have internet there. I will try what you advise at home and I'll tell you the result tomorrow.

Thanks... : :)