Computer won't shut down with sp2

ardi

I haven't seen this problem reported, but maybe a Windows XP Pro expert knows what is going on here. After installing sp2, my computer won't shut down with the software controls (including keyboard power button). Restoring the machine to pre-sp2 state solves the problem. SP2 was installed with two different downloads, same result. Three other machines have not experienced this (or any other) problem.

I checked the power settings in Control Panel--all looks fine. It is supposed to shut down when I hit the power button, but it goes through the "saving settings" sequence and then hangs on "Windows is shutting down." Doesn't help to go through the Start=>shutdown normal sequence.

I have an Asus Mobo with AMD 1 GHz processor. Firewall is off (I have h/w firewall) and McAfee virus protection.

Sure would like to get sp2 working an all my machines. Thanks.

ardi

This is somewhat of a guess, but maybe you should try updating all of your device drivers (chipset, peripherals, usb, everything) with the newest versions you can DL from the manufacturers' respective websites, after you apply SP2. I know that device drivers can occasionally cause this issue. Although, exactly why it does this only after application of SP2 is a bit of a mystery to me.

- Ravashaak

I just had another thought. You may even want to try this before the advice in my first post.

You can enable verbose status messages for startup, shutdown, logon, and logoff by editing the following registry key(s):

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]

To enable verbose status messages create a new DWORD value called "verbosestatus" and set it to "1".

An additional value called "DisableStatusMessages" forces status messages to be disabled, make sure this value does not exist or is set to "0".

Restart Windows for the change to take effect.

- Ravashaak

hi, do this

goto HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop

(in regedit)

in there, find AutoEndTasks change value to 1

find WaitToKillHungAppTimeout change value to 4000

should help :D

Per MCT's suggestions, I set the AutoEndTasks to 1,

then I found: HungAppTimeout and WaitToKillAppTimeout

Changed both of them to 4000.

I'm thinking these reg settings close those apps like systray.exe that stick sometimes, for reasons I can't understand.

Anyway, the computer still doesn't shut down.

Keep thinking guys (and gals). I need ya

ardi

ravashaak, I didn't enable verbose yet. I'm still trying to leapfrog into a solution, but that may be needed soon. I think you ae suggesting that verbose will tell me what is hanging that prevents shutdown.

And MCT, your link is for repeated restarts. I just want mine to shut down, although you may be suggesting they are related, and I'll try that patch also.

Anyway, first I'm going to try the MSFN slipstream instructions to integrate the XP and SP2, and then try to "repair" the OS.

OK, ravashaak, I enabled verbose status messages (what was I afraid of??). It gives me a little detail as it goes through the steps, but it still hangs at "Windows is shutting down."

Yesterday I built a slipstreamed version of the OS+sp2 and did a complete repair. No change.

(BTW the slipstream instructions on this site using nLite worked like a dream. No problems at all, and it was easy)

Here is a clue: if I boot up into safe mode the software shutdown works.The problem must be in some program or hardware that doesn't run in safe mode. There is a printer, but it has been off. Audio card? There is nothing flagged in the Device Manager.

Anything come to your mind that I should be looking for?

thanks

I assume you installed XP as ACPI. If not go into Power Options and enable "Advanced Power Management. The next thing is in the registry: Under HKLM\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon and change the value "PowerdownAfterShutdown" to 1. Next go to HKCU\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion and create a new key called "Shutdown", and then under this key create a REG_DWORD value called "ShutdownSetting" with a data of 3. I've had to do this in the past, especially after SP-2. Also my W2000 system sometimes does this because it didn't completely load all of the boot files; I then just hit the Reset button on the tower, reboot and it then works fine and shutdowns perfect.

I surrender, Microsoft.

I'll format the drive and rebuild the system. It still may not work, but I've spent hours and hours already on this stinking bug. I'll let you all know if it fixes the problem. This is an old Asus board (A7V), which I've loved, and I hope that it is up to sp2.

Thanks to all who responded. I genuinely appreciate your contributions. And I did more registry editing in the last two days than in all of last year.

That's VERY interesting, Jose. As I formatted and reinstalled, I loaded the latest BIOS from Asus, v 1011. My mobo is the plain A7V. It has Promise onboard ATA 100 sockets (I have both drives on on there) and the "conventional" ATA 66 sockets, one of which has the CD drive. ATA 100 was pretty new when I first installed this board about 5 years ago.

Now the plot thickens: I formatted the C drive and loaded XP with integrated SP2. IT STILL WON'T SHUT DOWN! Even during the install, when the machine is supposed to reboot, it won't do it.

Right now I'm reinstalling the old system with SP1 and it is rebooting just fine.

I looked your board up, Jose, and it is a lot newer. AGP 8X, SATA, USB 2.0, etc. (And BTW latest BIOS for the A7V8X is 1014, so you are one version behind).

I think I'm doomed. Maybe I'll get a new mobo, but there is not much urgency. The Asus machine is used for a specific job, streaming some data, and it is not critical to be real fast or secure. I'm just compulsive and wanted all the machines to be sp2.

Thanks again.