xp back up

Famer

Distributing Microsoft products over the Internet is illegal... Also, ever seen what it says on some M$ CDs? "Do NOT make illegal copies of this disc". You could argue that a CD image (ISO for example) is a copy, so it is definitely illegal.

so no one is allowed to backup his or her cd that they paid for. even if the backup you get is off the net and you use your own key it's not right . im not talking about someone who has not brought the meda and downloads a bootleg copy.

so no one is allowed to backup  his or her cd that they paid for. even if the backup you get is off the net and you use your own key it's not right . im not talking about someone who has not brought the meda and downloads a bootleg copy.

I'm following what M$'s CDs say! :lol: "Do NOT make illegal copies of this disc."

Oops, well, I guess you CAN make yourself a backup copy, as long as it stays in your posession. ;)

gamehead200 it's cool it been a debate with me and an ol buddy of mine who say you can download a copy of anything that you have the media to prove that your the legal owner and that it's for backup only. not them people who dont buy the program and go warezin every program they can. i was asking this for the guy that want to have a backup of a program and does not have a burner to back up his own, would it be cool if they downloaded an exact copy of their program from the net . provided they could find a virus free copy.

Thanks for your input

I don't live in the US, but you do so:

I did a little research and found that Title III of the DMCA states the following:

Title III expands the existing exemption relating to computer programs in section 117 of the Copyright Act, which allows the owner of a copy of a program to make reproductions or adaptations when necessary to use the program in conjunction with a computer.  The amendment permits the owner or lessee of a computer to make or authorize the making of a copy of a computer program in the course of maintaining or repairing that computer.  The exemption only permits a copy that is made automatically when a computer is activated, and only if the computer already lawfully contains an authorized copy of the program.  The new copy cannot be used in any other manner and must be destroyed immediately after the maintenance or repair is completed.

So in short, you can make a copy as long as you personally own it on ONE computer, but you have to destroy it after successfully repairing it on the same computer... :wacko:

I heard on the radio today here that the French government is starting an investigation against companies that make cd's uncopyable. The law there, as is in the Netherlands, Belgium and Germany, that you are allowed to make copies for your own private use. These companies don't even allow one copy and are under investigation. Companies like EMI are suspects :D Great news. So that question would be wether the copy that is downloaded is actually illegal.

Taking it back to this topic, I guess you could see p2p programs as a way of storing backups offsite. If you got a legal license you should be fine. Microsoft itself gives directions on their site on how to create a new XP cd with SP2 slipstreamed. Thats a copy too...