how to merge XPSP2's first update

The amazing thing about XP SP2 seems to be the release of two patches within a week of release, one is listed here: (the formatting is such that this page isn't able to take up the link, due to the quirks of the [url ] tags)

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 884020

Programs that connect to IP addresses that are in the loopback address range may not work as you expect in Windows XP Service Pack 2

Now, this small tip will show you how to slip-stream this update into the XP-CD.

If you read the MS Knowledge Base article above, you see that the only file updated/replaced/changed is TCPIP.SYS - that is the only modification it does. Now, not all of us might need this latest patch, but having it applied would always be better.

Now, many of us have a hacked TCPIP.SYS in our uA XPSP2 CDs, to allow for better performance in file-sharing apps. So, if you applied the above patch, your painstakingly hacked TCPIP.SYS will get replaced back with a stock version of the updated one. Now, if you took the new patched TCPIP.SYS after applying the above update, and then hacked it for the "connection tweak" (event ID 4226), you wouldn't anymore need to update it. You are patched to all the latest hot-fixes, AND you also have a patched TCPIP.SYS which behaves the way you want it. Then put this file after CAB-ing it into the CD (I386 folder) to replace the older TCPIP.SY_ file.

:lol: If anyone has read this who is able to understand this and put it in simpler words, please do - I was pretty excited when I wrote this. And yes, if this tip is interesting or useful to you, please post back about how you did it, and suggestions if any.

Now, not all of us might need this latest patch, but having it applied would always be better.

That is a VERY bad understanding of hotfixes. Microsoft may test them, but the ones taht AREN"T released for everyone (ie, you have to have teh specific problem, or contact Microsoft) haven't been tested in as many circumstances as others. It is actually WORSE to install this, if you don't have the problem as described in the article, because it may interfere with something else, or just go hay wire with your config.

That's one reason AutoPatcher is not such a good idea. Sure it's easy, but blindly installing patches is not always best. Infact, it might create more problems then it solves.

as I was reading I was confused and the kb article is not very clear.

what is the difference between the hacked .sys and this hotfix's sys?

anyone compared? (I'm going to in a min..edit not anymore...)

edit: is surely doesn't exist in my wu

Edited by XtremeMaC

edit: is surely doesn't exist in my wu

Just checked WU and that hotfix does not come up. I don't have the problem this one address so I don't need it. The only updates I'm offered are optional: Hi-mat, Journal Viewer, and Messenger 4.7.

what is the difference between the hacked .sys and this hotfix's sys?
dunno...... The KB article just says that this hotfix'ed sys will fix the issue of loopback-IPs running into trouble under certain conditions.

You have to download the update only if you have that issue. And you have to use the idea mentioned in this thread only if you have downloaded that update. :}

So the reach for this one is quite limited. The rest of you who haven't had any loop-back IP problem with their XPSP2 can give this thread a miss and carry on......

same here

(off topic: and for some reason the stupid nvidia driver update still exist on my wu, I don't understand that?? i've 61.77)

i think its pretty strange for the tcpip.sys to act differently on different computers

its a sys for sake. how can it be different? why should this be specific to some users?

ow btw do u have a link to dl it?

I wanna see what the difference is.thx

Edited by XtremeMaC

i think its pretty strange for the tcpip.sys to act differently on different computers

its a sys for sake. how can it be different? why should this be specific to some users?

the sys doesn't behave differently, the user that uses it does. Basically, there are problems when programs try to run a loop to an IP address other then 127.0.0.1, say for Remote Desktop or something. Only people that use those certain programs will have the problem with it not working properly (microsoft blocked the other IPs)

As for linking and not showing up....

To resolve this problem immediately, contact Microsoft Product Support Services to obtain the hotfix.

You have to contact Microsoft for it (i've had to contact to correct a problem with my TV card with the HT processor)

well how to the users know its bc of tcpip.sys? I mean how would wu know that I'm using such a program? does it appear in wu? or does users manually have to search for a fix for this problem?

well I though prathapml had it?

lol

if you are not severely affected by this problem, we recommend that you wait for the next Windows XP service pack that contains this hotfix.

Due when? Well, say late 2006 maybe.. or? :whistle: /ironic mode off