SP2 and LAN IP address problem

Hi guys, i have just tried out SP2 clean install unattended and all went well until the little icon in the taskbar with the network icon started displaying a message saying that i had little or no connectivity, when i checked the message out it says you could not be assigned an IP address, so i tried a couple of ways and got it to work by manually configuring it.

Has anyone had such a problem, if so how can it be dealt with?

If not, is there any ways so that you can configure an ip address to be given during unattended install?

for instance is there a way to make it assign say 169.254.219.*, where the * would be a random numbe rwindows could choose for you??

Thanks for any help given.

The 169.254.x.x IP address range is reserved for IP Autoconfiguration. When the installed NIC is configured...it defaults to DHCP. When you log onto a network it then attempts to find a DHCP service. If it can't find one... the IP Autoconfig feature kicks in and assigns it a random ClassB IP address using the subnet 169.254.x.x . If the NIC is defaulting to a 169 address, that means that it is not finding your default gateway (Router or Modem)

at the moment i only have two computers connected up as a LAN, this didnt happen with SP1. When Sp2 booted up the first time after runoncex, etc, the LAN icon was sitting there trying to configure an IP address on its own and couldnt, there is also one other note, when XP was installing it gave me an error saying that i had another computer with the same netowrk name, but i changed that later and still had the ip problem, could this be the reason??

• 5 months later...

Ok, i have the same "little or no connectivity problem"

i've pretty much tried everything, but nothing seems to be working

and im getting worried.

In above post, someone said:

"If the NIC is defaulting to a 169 address, that means that it is not finding your default gateway (Router or Modem) "

Is this a hardware of software problem? How can i check"

Here are things that i've tried:

Check physical connections. I used the same cable in another computer, works fine

Manual configuration. This did not work, my computer still has no connectivity

I checked the NIC, the lights are on

I went to PChell and used their "fix" and regiostry edit, didn't help

I turned off all firewalls, didnt work

Im starting to think it's not a software problem, but am not sure how to check. My adsl router has two other computer which it quite happily connects and has connected my cpmputer in the past. I took it to a friends house, reformatted and reinstalled, only to return home to find that i can no longer see my network

HELP SOMEONE!! I need to use the inernet to study!

Ok, i have the same "little or no connectivity problem"

i've pretty much tried everything, but nothing seems to be working

and im getting worried.

In above post, someone said:

"If the NIC is defaulting to a 169 address, that means that it is not finding your default gateway (Router or Modem) "

Is this a hardware of software problem? How can i check"

Here are things that i've tried:

Check physical connections. I used the same cable in another computer, works fine

Manual configuration. This did not work, my computer still has no connectivity

I checked the NIC, the lights are on

I went to PChell and used their "fix" and regiostry edit, didn't help

I turned off all firewalls, didnt work

Im starting to think it's not a software problem, but am not sure how to check. My adsl router has two other computer which it quite happily connects and has connected my cpmputer in the past. I took it to a friends house, reformatted and reinstalled, only to return home to find that i can no longer see my network

HELP SOMEONE!! I need to use the inernet to study!

You need to reinstall your Windows, because I had the same problem.

If you reinstall your windows and still the same, contact ISP.