SATA or PATA? What's your next HDD?

Lunar Leaper

Is the SATA worth the extra buck, or is PATA still good enough for ya?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Is the SATA worth the extra buck, or is PATA still good enough for ya?

• SATA
    • PATA

I'm a tech with 40+ yrs of experience and one thing I've learned is to NOT play that numbers game.

Yes, I've read all the claims and all the negatives, but when my own Guru said that SATA "Rocks", I took him at his word and went out and bought me one.

My AOpen mobo wouldn't support it so I got me a Buslink Serial ATA driver card.

I also had to buy me one of them funny little SATA drive cables.

(40" max.) [iDE was 24" max]

It didn't take long to get all my data Ghost'ed over to my new drive and get it booting my system.

I did have to load the windows drivers for that SATA controller card. (no problem)

I was totally blown away at the increase in speed!

With my old Maxtor 60 gig IDE ATA-133 drive, a Ghost backup took me a good half an hour to complete. Doing exactly the same operation with my new SATA drive, takes only three minutes or less. A Ghost restore takes me only about four minutes.

When Ghost starts, the transfer rate kicks in at about 1800mbm and then it usually settles in somewhere arount 1300 to 1400 mbm (megabytes per minute).

I don't have to rely on someone elses numbers.(and I WON'T)...I read my own right off of my own screen. Ghost tells the whole story while it runs. (Ver. 2003, DOS)

SATA Rocks, and it's jus gonna git better. Right now, we're jus see'in the tip of the iceburg. Stay tuned for late breaking news!!!!!!!! Tape at ten! :lol:

God, ya gotta love it when technology takes a quantum leap forward. :thumbup:

Cheers,

Andromeda43