Message "Internet Explorer needs to shut down."

pianoman2

I just had XP Home Edition installed on my clone. When I am on the internet, It is giving the error "I E needs to close down due to some error. Click here for info. " It will ask me if I want to notify Microsoft.

Regardless of whether I answer 'yes' or 'no' to the question, I E and multiple windows will ALL CLOSE, losing whatever I had. It is very frustrating, as I have to sign in again to programs.

It will give pages of error locations which mean nothing to me. I've taken it back 2X to the seller and he's reinstalled XP SP 1a and the problem still continues. :realmad:

512 Ram, AMD XP Athlon 1600+, Amptron MB K7-XLM SiS 730 Board video/sound/AMR modem/LAN, Duron 1200 chip.

Can anyone help me, PLEASE. My Compaq comp running Win98 at 233 Mg runs perfectly. I am so frustrated with my CLONE. Thank you for any help u can give.

:)

Pianoman2

As a simple and fast work around to avoid the close of ALL IE windows when crashing, add this registry key in order to launch every IE window in separate process.

This will avoid lossing data when one IE instance crashes.

Inside this root:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer

create a string key named BrowseNewProcess and set its value to yes

Its possible that an update you recently got, or a BHO (like yahoo toolbar) went in and replaced system files, with its own versions - which can lead to plenty of conflicts and errors.

Try this:

format your C:\ drive, then install WinXP, then install Service Pack (released recently).

Does it happen when you go to a certain website(s), or intermittently?

It happens on any site. My computer locks up and will not "end task" . (If I do a < ctrl, alt, delete > it freezes up; if I do it again ( < ctrl. alt, delete >it will run task manager AGAIN. It won't close programs.

I did a scan with "AD-AWARE" and no problems,b ut IE still will not stay loaded.

I'm now working on the Compaq 233 which i said in my original post, would WORK FINE. BUT ON my PROBLEM COMPUTER, the clone which is 6 X faster, it hangs up!

pianoman2